Where to learn 'field dressing" and other hunting skills?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not start off with some small game hunting like squirrels and rabbits?

That's what I did because there were very few deer in Ok when I started. When I took my first little 6 point buck, I was dumfounded on how to field dress such a big animal vs a rabbit.

Didn't take long to realize its no different. Just a bigger animal. You do it the same way.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is what Hoddy drove to kill his first deer............killed it with a club probably....maybe even a spear.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_flintstone_zps4cwk69bf.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not start off with some small game hunting like squirrels and rabbits?

That is the plan. My next door neighbor is a big hunter, he's offered to take us out and show us everything we need. Very happy about that... I provide BBQ and Scotch and he provides hunting education. :D Fair deal, I think.

<edit> Actually he hates Scotch, so he'll be getting Maker's.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the plan. My next door neighbor is a big hunter, he's offered to take us out and show us everything we need. Very happy about that... I provide BBQ and Scotch and he provides hunting education. :D Fair deal, I think.

<edit> Actually he hates Scotch, so he'll be getting Maker's.

You never said there was going to be scotch involved. Hell, I may have given you a lease for a good single malt.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of my family was into hunting, so a few years ago my best friend who has hunted all his life with his dad invited me to go with him since his dad wasn't able to go anymore. Since then he has taught me almost everything about it, beside what I have learned from youtube, forums, and now experience. I never really got the chance to get into hunting until I was about 28 years old, so it's never too late to start if it's something you want to do. You can both learn as you go, and like someone else said all you need it a gun/bow and a knife, the rest are just things easier. My buddy has a game cart and a 4 wheeler, but never seems to bring them when one of us get a deer, so we just have to drag em out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom