Where you buy Remington 700 5R?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After just selling a few items, I'm in the market for a nice 308 bolt gun. I've decided up on the Remington 700 5R in 308, but I'm wondering where the best deals are. Anyone?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
budsgunshop will be hard to beat.

If you want to post pictures of how your gun looks - buy Remmy.
If you want to post pictures of how your gun shoots - buy Savage.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am die hard reminton fan, well older stuff mainly, and have a newer m700 300WM and like it alot. BUT its pretty hard to argue with how a savage performs downrange out of the box with some decent glass. Would prolly choose a savage over my 700 if it wasnt a gift.

But as for prices like MoBoost said buds will have what your lookin for at best price likely. Its where my next new rifle i buy will come from i bet.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate

a) It easy to be on a high horse after shooting 1/4MOA @ 300 yards from a stock rifle :)

b) As soon as Remington acquired Marlin (Jan 2008) - guess what rifle they made? That's right, Marlin XL7 (late 2008) - a 99% copy of Savage: barrel nut, accutrigger, floating bolt head, even barrel thread pitch. Call it what you want, but I say "imitation is the highest form of flattery".

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a) It easy to be on a high horse after shooting 1/4MOA @ 300 yards from a stock rifle :)

b) As soon as Remington acquired Marlin (Jan 2008) - guess what rifle they made? That's right, Marlin XL7 (late 2008) - a 99% copy of Savage: barrel nut, accutrigger, floating bolt head, even barrel thread pitch. Call it what you want, but I say "imitation is the highest form of flattery".

a) and nobody here with a Remy has done that?

b) What does that have to do with the 700 5R Milspec?

I'm not saying that 700s are the end-all rifle out of the box (far from it), but Savages aren't the bargain they once were, and they've gotten big enough that there are now QC-type complaints out there about their bolt-guns.

For out of the box accuracy, I'd probably buy a Steyr, Tikka or Sako.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a) and nobody here with a Remy has done that?

b) What does that have to do with the 700 5R Milspec?

I'm not saying that 700s are the end-all rifle out of the box (far from it), but Savages aren't the bargain they once were, and they've gotten big enough that there are now QC-type complaints out there about their bolt-guns.

For out of the box accuracy, I'd probably buy a Steyr, Tikka or Sako.

a) I am going to step it up and say not just "here" - I'm going to say "ANYWHERE" and "EVER" has been done with a bone stock Remington. I would love to be proven wrong though ;)

b) 5R rifling is available from Savage as well; just in a better designed and more accurate platform than Remmy.

I haven't seen anything remotely close in accuracy "factory stock rifles" to Savage F-Class guns.
Considering that stock F-TRs took national and world titles - maybe it is safe to say that Savages are as accurate as it gets. Period.

As far as QC problems - source?

P.S. Here is a good read on pros and cons of Savages: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2798302&page=1

Latest posts

Top Bottom