Which 40 cal pistol is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherifmd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering getting a 40 cal for CC. I am interested in your thoughts of which 40 cal, semi-auto would be the best and why. I understand some of the pistols characteristic may be a personal preference, but I solicit all inputs. Thanks for your comments.
Mike
:musketeers:

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P40c for my hands. As far as reliablility/go-bang factor, the XD/Glock/M&P all seem on par. but the XD/Glock are too boxy, for my taste, to carry, and on top of that I don't like the glock's grip angle. The M&P fit like a glove. Now when it comes to a full size I love my XD45tactical to death. I don't have experience with the Kahr so I can't coment. I also like the Sprinfield EMP, but the limited capacity gets me there.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock makes a great gun, but I personally don't like the grip as much as that of a Sig. I have a Sig P229 in .40S&W and I love it. For picking out a gun, I suggest you go to a gun shop and feel/hold them all. That's what I had to do because there are just too many models and brands of guns to decide without actually handling them.

There are many, MANY great guns out there, it's just a matter of what feels most comfortable to you.

To answer the OP's question: Sig P229, XDm40, S&W M&P40 (in that order) are my votes

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it just HAD to be a .40 S&W, I'd go for a Sig or a German made Walther P-99.

Glock makes a good gun, but the ones they make in .40 S&W are their problem children.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a Springfield XD sub compact.

One of the things I like about it is that it has a palm safety, meaning your palm has to be pressed against the gun to shoot.

Of course, that's the same reason a lot of people hate it.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry the G23 daily, and when clothing permits, I switch it up to my G22. I like the glock because of it's durability and the fact that I shoot it well. I used to carry a taurus PT140, and while some may say it has its problems, it didn't have any while I owned it. My father has it now, and it's treating him well too. I'd carry a G27, but it just doesn't fit my hands well.

Bottom line, my vote is for a glock flavor.

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my vote is for the glock have a model 27 now it is small but with the magazine extension it makes the grip easier to hold onto i personally have never had one problem out of it or the model 23

Latest posts

Top Bottom