Which appreciates in value faster, military C&Rs or Modern Day Rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those are two very wide open categories. You need to specify, at the VERY least, a make and model of each category to compare, as well as a time frame that we're talking about.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More specific information would be needed prior to even a wild hair guess. The generalities used are too varied to make an assumption.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Most modern guns won't appreciate unless they're a desirable limited edition.

They may follow inflation, but I haven't seen many that gain value.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on who is in office and / or what crazy idiot has shot a bunch of people up.

In normal times, most current offerings will depreciate in value. They don't exactly produce any more original K98s.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mosins, Swedes, Swiss in military. In modern well bolts of all sizes to target and hunt hogs. I have a budgeted amount each month to spend. Im leaning toward the present interest in the old military I now have.
I have mosins that were $79 now go for over $325 in 5 yrs. My Swedes and Swiss not that fast but still steady and strong.

Not much of a hand gun guy. Just stuff for personal protection and fun factor.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Commemorative rifles are a funny thing. Usually it takes 5 years for them to start appreciating. Especially if it celebrates a person. 100 years from now, people will ask who the hell is John Wayne? Milsurps are already old and don't really celebrate a person. Heck, a hundred years from now the AR15 will be a Milsurp.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you buy old make sure you buy the best you can; assuming you're buying for financial resale. It's better to buy a $3,000 + military 1911 that's in 95% + shape than buy 2 or 3 military 1911's that are 25-50% for the same $3,000.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since 2006 I've had milsurp rifles appreciate 300%. For example, swiss K-31's used to be $100 all day long at the gunshow a mere 9 years ago. Now they are $300+. Russian capture K98k's were $200, now $400.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought you were inquiring into collectables on first read. Based upon what you are writing about, any good to better grade mosins should hold steady. They were ahead of their time, and many good all around builds are available if you look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom