which Choice of Mauser?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to buy a Mauser hunting rifle in 30-06. I have two choices.
One is a Czechoslovakia Mauser, and has the BRNO on the top of the chamber. This rifle has good finish on the metal and on the wood, but has a rather heavy trigger. It has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts but has no scope mounts. I am sure I would want a trigger job done on this or maybe get a new trigger group and installed.

The other rifle, from what I found on the action in an FN made in Belgium, so a Belgium Mauser. This one has an excellent trigger, finish on the metal is decent, but the finish on the wood needs to be redone. But that is no problem for me, I have refinished a stock before.

What can you guys tell me about these particular types of rifles?

Thanks

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This, I know a little about as I have probably rebarreled and variously reworked over 200 of the suckers. Generally, the Brno vz24 and the DMW are considered about the best, but the belgium FN and the Steyr are also very good as are most others. Factors that are important,among others, are: 1 barrel condition (bore) and is it original or after market. Remember, bore wear (from shooting) starts in front of the chamber. 2 Is the FN the only one that is drilled and tapped, and is it straight with the action, and are the hole spaced correctly for the proper mounts and tapped for the correct screws. Many are not. 3 Is the bolt handle on the FN altered for scope mounting. I don't mean bent down about 1/2 way out, but forged over close to the bolt body or a new handle welded on. 4 safety, scope mounting requires that this part be replaced. 5 stock, original or after market. 6 has the trigger on the FN possibly been replaced with an after market unit. If the FN has been altered correctly it could be a good buy fo a hunting rifle But bear in mind that parts and work ain't cheap. Mausers are good rifles, but you kinda have to love them for what they are. Were it me and price was important and I wanted a good hunting rifle I would look long and hard at a marlin bolt action. I think the mod no. is XL7? they are around $280 at academy. and have a lot of GOOD features.

Latest posts

Top Bottom