Which dog breed is right for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a five year old black lab named "Onyx" and a 5 month old German shorthair named "Tuff" they are both great with kids and i would not give them up for anything both are winners in my book.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmouth_Cur

This is hands down the best dog I have ever owned. I also have a Black Lab Hank thats about 5 years old that is an awesome dog but as far as an all around family/protection/critter dog you can't beat Ruger

ai275.photobucket.com_albums_jj298_1jgwin1_IMAG0351.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've just rescued two dogs since the first of the year and they both have incredible personalities. There are a TON of good dogs out there if you look. Even purebreeds.

Petfinder.com

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought a few acres in the country and are trying to sell our house and move. I promised my kids a dog when (if) we move. I'm thinking lab but would like to hear more about other breeds. Here are my priorities;

1. Must be gentle with my kids (ages 9, 5 and 4)
2. Doesn't bark excessively, especially after dark
3. Barks enough to let us know when someone is nosing around
4. No small dogs, pit bulls or bull mastiffs, something medium sized

We've been thinking chocolate lab but only because I don't know much about other breeds. I personally like boxers and english bulldogs (even though they're on the small side). I think weimaraners are really good looking dogs too. What do all you dog people recommend?

OK misconception, just gonna point it out pitbulls are medium sized dogs, our female weighs only 40 pounds. We also have a boxer. They don't get huge unless bred to be huge you can easily find many that meet the classic breed standars of 20~40lbs

Neither dog barks, even when the neighbor dogs are going nuts over a leaf they are quiet as church mice, nothing is more aggravating than the ignorant dogs next door that won't shut up and when our dogs hit the yard the neigbor dogs redouble their efforts.

The last time they barked in the middle of the night I suspect someone kicked our door then ran when the first kick didn't work, it woke me up and the dogs up at the same time. that's been a few years now.

Boxers are stupid, at least ours is she drives me nuts, she is also very mellow. The pitbull on the other hand is extremely smart and very active, too smart for her own good sometimes they both love to play and being raised with my son they are wonderful with him.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These dogs make absolutely wonderful companions. I can't recommend them highly enough.

http://www.englishshepherd.org/

This takes me back! First dog I ever had, 3 yrs. old on the farm. Named Shep of course. Wonderful dog, excellent with children, intellegent, beautiful, great cattle dog. I love blue heelers though, have had 2, one pure bred, and this little thing to the left, which probably isn't. They are extremely smart and loyal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom