Which dog breed is right for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds you really don't need a dog. if you are not willing to spend time with the dog. it's a living creature that requires attention.

well trained cattle dogs like a blue heeler can all but take care of itself.
but those type dogs need a JOB ... they need animals to take care of.

a rock climbing friend came by from out of town and asked to leave his truck at my house. he was going to be gone for few days cycling and left his blue heeler dog.

I asked what about water and food for his dog ... he replied ... his dog will find some water and catch a bunny for food. He disappeared for a few days on his mountain bike. when he came back his blue heeler dog was just fine waiting for him to show back up.

I took the quiz and no dogs met my criteria. I think I basically asked for a dog that takes care of itself and they obviously don't exist. I made some modifications and it gave me Australian Labradoodle, Curly-Coated Retriever and Portugese Water Dog. I'm not sure I've ever come across any of these.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for a german sheperd also. I got two from a rescue out in Harrah 4 years ago. They are very smart and loyal dogs. I do reccomend getting two though because they are very social dogs and need a mate to socialize with when your not around to do that.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds you really don't need a dog. if you are not willing to spend time with the dog. it's a living creature that requires attention.
I never said I wouldn't spend time with the dog. I just don't know that I'll take it on daily walks and groom it every other day. I work allot. So I will spend time with a dog when I'm home but it won't take priority over my kids. My kids on the other hand play outside all the time and I am confident that no dog will be lacking for attention. My wife will make it her mission to make sure the dog is well provided for and is given training. Whatever we get will be a family dog for sure. If I were single or without kids, no way would I have the time or desire to take on the responsibility alone.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always recommend curs for general family dogs. i have catahoulas myself, but any of the cur breeds are good. they dont shed or require any special maintenance, have enough gumption to keep strangers, varmints etc., out of the yard, protective and loyal. catahoulas are generally considered more protective/aggressive than other curs, but it depends on the particular dog. i have had some that would eat the clothes off of you before you could get back in your car, and some that would get in a strangers lap. but even the meanest ones would let my kids ride them, pull their tails, step on their feet, etc. and most of them are not super high energy dogs, but will require some room.

there are some mountain cur/ridgeback pups for free here in the OSA classifieds. they oughta be good. freind of mine got one last week. if i needed a dog, i would have got one too.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like a job for a German Shepard dog ... GSD can take it or leave it on needing a walk. sure he would like to go run, but will not go nuts if he doesn't get it.

whereas a breed like a blue heeler would go nuts without massive activities.

I never said I wouldn't spend time with the dog. I just don't know that I'll take it on daily walks and groom it every other day. I work allot. So I will spend time with a dog when I'm home but it won't take priority over my kids. My kids on the other hand play outside all the time and I am confident that no dog will be lacking for attention. My wife will make it her mission to make sure the dog is well provided for and is given training. Whatever we get will be a family dog for sure. If I were single or without kids, no way would I have the time or desire to take on the responsibility alone.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like a job for a German Shepard dog ... GSD can take it or leave it on needing a walk. sure he would like to go run, but will not go nuts if he doesn't get it.

whereas a breed like a blue heeler would go nuts without massive activities.

This is very true, I would't have another healer...they are very needy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom