Which flies for Lower Illinois? ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of midge activity last few times I was there. I was using a size 24 cdc midge dry fly with a size 24 thread midge dropper of the same color. They were being really selective later in the day so the really small stuff was the ticket. I usually use size 16 and 18 zebra midges when I midge fish. This time of year keep your eye out for march brown mayflies. Have some march brown dries,size 10 and 12 have worked for me plus tie on a pheasant tail nymph dropper to the dry. Size 14 but have some a size smaller and a size bigger. Drop your dropper anywhere from 6" - 2' off the dry. You have to determine the depth, same as midge fishing. Good luck if you go, I dont know when my next trip will be.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks....im hopeing for a weekday trip end of Feb or 1st week of Mar. This will be my first time flyrodding for trout, so im pretty pumped.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have a mentor since its your first time? I'm still a newb with the fly rod. Its a learning experience every time.

Nope, no mentor. Ive caught bass, perch n gar on flyrod by flailing around with poppers. Ive been reading alot about fly fishing and honestly just know most fly mimic life cycles of different bugs. I know what a few flys look like but cant tell you the stage.

As far as casting, im "ok"....I can sling it out about 30+ feet semi accurately. I can roll cast. As far as "reading" the water or knowing where trout hang out....im clueless, lol.

Its all new and fun. Gets me out of house. And retired guys are supposed to fish n tie flys n do cool stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom