Which gas piston system for an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on which gas piston system to use on my AR. Currently it's a mostly stock armalite m-15 with a carbine length gas system. I pretty much have it narrowed to the Adams Arms and Osprey Defense kits but I just don't know which to choose. Any help from experience would be amazing.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reliability and ease of use/cleaning. I have LOTS of experience with ARs, having spent ten years active duty in the Marine Corps, and as a result I'm tired of cleaning the DI system. I understand that, insofar as use is concerned, there is no real difference between piston and DI. But I think eventually I'll be getting a suppressor.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the advantage for suppressor use.DI gets dirty quick while suppressed, but not so bad that 20 minutes with a brush and rag wont take care of it. The real advantage imo is you dont have to run the piston system as wet. Its a small advantage though. You should already know as long as you keep the important bits wet, youll be fine.

Having said all of that, I think you have narrowed your choices down to the two least desirable systems. Mainly because they are both retrofit designs. If I were to move to a dedicated piston upper I would select one of the proprietary systems which were designed fro the ground up as a piston gun.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reliability and ease of use/cleaning. I have LOTS of experience with ARs, having spent ten years active duty in the Marine Corps, and as a result I'm tired of cleaning the DI system. I understand that, insofar as use is concerned, there is no real difference between piston and DI. But I think eventually I'll be getting a suppressor.

Then you should be well aware that the way an AR was designed was not for an op rod. And the reliability issue in a standard carbine has been answered in the favor of DI because of those design issues. SBR and especially SBR with a can and I would be telling you that you need to get a piston set up (standard AR's have a piston too, actually, but that's another discussion). But for standard carbines, I'll stand by DI as the superior system.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In light of doctorjj's comment I will offer this. I have not had a single gun related failure through 4000 plus rounds through my DD MK18 upper (10.3 inch barrel for those who dont already know) and 95% of the time I ran it suppressed. Some of that I would consider a harsh firing schedule and most I would consider a moderate firing schedule. I do make sure that the gun stays wet, and clean the chamber after every few hundred (read 300 to 500) rounds. I lube the gun at about the same rate with Fireclean. That stuff is just fantastic, and most of the time the bcg and inside of the gun is still adequately wet when I do relube.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

First, thank you for your service! Second, lube more and clean less. Seriously. ;)

From talking to a buddy that used to be in the Corps and then went on to run the armorer and training programs for Dep. of State far more wear, tear and damage is done by institutionally ingrained cleaning than is typically even done by firing.

Piston systems really shine in three specific areas:

1. Lots of full auto. (Probably not an issue for you but if it is then I want to be your friend. ;) )
2. Reliable operation of a VSBR (Very Short Barrel Rifle, basically barrels under 11.5") in all climates and altitudes with a variety of ammunition.
3. Reliable operation of a VSBR in all climates and altitudes with a variety of ammunition that is suppressed.

Outside of these areas it's just more weight towards the front of the gun making things heavier. It's also that many more proprietary/non-standard parts that may or may not be available.

Is there anything 'wrong' with a piston gun? Absolutely not! If it's reliable and strikes your fancy then rock on with your bad self!

I run a MK18-type weapon from Daniel Defense that is occasionally suppressed. I understand the limitations of this system and it's useful lifespan as well as how to take care of it. If money were no object or they were MUCH more available (and factory supported with parts!!!) I would really like to have a 10.3" HK416... but that likely won't be happening any time soon if ever! :(

LWRC would be my next choice as it is a well designed system instead of a bunch of drop in parts. They're a known quantity and from what I've seen they go out of their way to support their customers.

At the end of the day though THIS is my preferred piston.
Photo%20May%2027%2C%2020%2006%2016.jpg

Ek :sunbath:

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the advantage for suppressor use.DI gets dirty quick while suppressed, but not so bad that 20 minutes with a brush and rag wont take care of it. The real advantage imo is you dont have to run the piston system as wet. Its a small advantage though. You should already know as long as you keep the important bits wet, youll be fine.

Having said all of that, I think you have narrowed your choices down to the two least desirable systems. Mainly because they are both retrofit designs. If I were to move to a dedicated piston upper I would select one of the proprietary systems which were designed fro the ground up as a piston gun.

I actually quite like the idea of a retrofit system, in case I should ever want or need to go back to a DI system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom