Which gas piston system for an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, but at what point would this become a problem? 2k rounds, 10k rounds, 20k, 40k? Does anyone own a rifle with either of the kits I mentioned? Someone who can give me firsthand feedback about how the systems perform?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the advantage for suppressor use.DI gets dirty quick while suppressed, but not so bad that 20 minutes with a brush and rag wont take care of it. The real advantage imo is you dont have to run the piston system as wet. Its a small advantage though. You should already know as long as you keep the important bits wet, youll be fine.

Having said all of that, I think you have narrowed your choices down to the two least desirable systems. Mainly because they are both retrofit designs. If I were to move to a dedicated piston upper I would select one of the proprietary systems which were designed fro the ground up as a piston gun.

As usual, I couldn't agree more with UMB. I've owned a few piston guns (LWRC & POF) and have found that I would just rather have a DI gun. To each their own though.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info again, EK. Actually, I think we're all on the same page: trying to get the OP to think about the why of a piston kit.

Aye.

I wish folks would just refer to the classic stoner system as what it is: a direct impingement gas piston. This is in many ways very different from the long stroke gas piston and short stroke gas piston systems that folks commonly associated with 'Piston ARs'.

The differences are distinct.

Ek

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an Adams Arms homer. I had a rifle retrofit kit on my 20" bench AR. I put a whole lot of rounds down range with it and never had any issue. I'm just a weekend shooter, not a David Tubbs so take what I say with a grain of salt. I never once cleaned my rifle other than a couple drops of oil in the critical parts and a bore snake down the tube. It NEVER got dirty. And that was shooting Wolf ammo. Whenever I ran a bore snake, I would pull the piston out, inspect it, oil it, reinstall then rock and roll again. I regret selling that gun. I never once did me wrong, and it was a purpose built gun to the extent that it was a Franken-AR that I put together to ring steel at 400yards. No name brands were matched in the making of that gun, but it reliably hit the steel everytime.

My favorite part about a piston system in an AR is you don't breathe all the crap in. And it runs cool. But I don't know anything... I'm an Adams Arms homer and an internet commando.

Latest posts

Top Bottom