Which log splitter would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kohler Command or Honda GX

• Kohler Commercial Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honda GX

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past year I haven't had any luck finding a decent used log splitter in my budget. So I expanded my budget and have been shopping new. While many of them get good reviews, I was hoping to avoid the Chinese made units. However, I have a couple of choices that mainly comes down to the engine.

For about the same cost:

1) Northstar 30 ton with Kohler Command engine. Looks well built, some made in USA parts, assembled in USA, comes with a jack instead of a prop, fenders, no channel on the beam for the wedge that jams up with debris, and engine idles down when ram returns.
Northern Tool is going away from the Honda engines and has dropped the price to move the 2023 30 ton units.

2) Chinese made Black Diamond 38 ton at local Atwoods but comes with Honda GX270 engine. None of the assesories that the NS comes with.

Option 3 is to spend an additional $800 or so more than I want to spend and get the made in USA with mostly American parts Brave 30 or 37 ton that also comes with the Honda GX270. Will have to assemble it myself.

The 37 ton Northstar with Kohler engine is not a significant savings versus the Brave.

I may not need the 30+ ton unit, they are just what are immediately available with these options.

Which is the better choice?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also look at the 'cycle' time -- how long it takes to split a log then return to full retract. Lots of little groups of seconds can really add up over the course of a session.

Best of luck on your decision!
Northstar is 14 seconds
BD is 17 seconds
Brave us 14 seconds

NS & BD have 2 stage pump at 13 gpm
Brave at 16 gpm

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past year I haven't had any luck finding a decent used log splitter in my budget. So I expanded my budget and have been shopping new. While many of them get good reviews, I was hoping to avoid the Chinese made units. However, I have a couple of choices that mainly comes down to the engine.

For about the same cost:

1) Northstar 30 ton with Kohler Command engine. Looks well built, some made in USA parts, assembled in USA, comes with a jack instead of a prop, fenders, no channel on the beam for the wedge that jams up with debris, and engine idles down when ram returns.
Northern Tool is going away from the Honda engines and has dropped the price to move the 2023 30 ton units.

2) Chinese made Black Diamond 38 ton at local Atwoods but comes with Honda GX270 engine. None of the assesories that the NS comes with.

Option 3 is to spend an additional $800 or so more than I want to spend and get the made in USA with mostly American parts Brave 30 or 37 ton that also comes with the Honda GX270. Will have to assemble it myself.

The 37 ton Northstar with Kohler engine is not a significant savings versus the Brave.

I may not need the 30+ ton unit, they are just what are immediately available with these options.

Which is the better choice?
Go for the higher tonnage and watch what wood you split. If it’s green elm, toss it aside. It can damage a splitter that’s not exceptionally strong. My first build on a splitter was with a 5” H beam for a rail. One piece of green elm turned it into a horseshoe.
The new model I built will split up to 3’ diameter green oak with an 18hp electric start Koehler engine. Double H beam with hardened grader bladed welded into the H beam webb.
Trailer tongue jacks used for outriggers when using the hydraulic lift
Built the trailer as well.
IMG_1469.jpeg
IMG_1470.jpeg

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go for the higher tonnage and watch what wood you split. If it’s green elm, toss it aside. It can damage a splitter that’s not exceptionally strong. My first build on a splitter was with a 5” H beam for a rail. One piece of green elm turned it into a horseshoe.
The new model I built will split up to 3’ diameter green oak with an 18hp electric start Koehler engine. Double H beam with hardened grader bladed welded into the H beam webb.
Trailer tongue jacks used for outriggers when using the hydraulic lift
Built the trailer as well.
View attachment 425861View attachment 425862

Nice build.
I do have a lot of elm. Many yet to be felled, a huge dead one near my house that has to come down. A very large pile of mostly elm that I took down 3 years ago. Otherwise I have oak, hackberry and cedar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice build.
I do have a lot of elm. Many yet to be felled, a huge dead one near my house that has to come down. A very large pile of mostly elm that I took down 3 years ago. Otherwise I have oak, hackberry and cedar.
Once the elm cures, it’s good to go. Green elm seems to be the issue as it’s extremely stringy with the grain running everywhere vs oak and hackberry having a straight grain.
Love the smell of hackberry in the yard when burned in the fireplace.

Latest posts

Top Bottom