Which log splitter would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kohler Command or Honda GX

• Kohler Commercial Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honda GX

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That because you spend all your time working on Kohlers instead of using them.
Oh, I agree. Last two head gaskets I did were on kohlers. Never had a major issue with a Honda other than needing to clean the carbs. But, five things have to line up to put a Honda carb back on a mower correctly. I’m a cussing fool whenever I have to do one!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of wood and how big are the rounds you are trying to split?

I only ask because. I know when we cut pecan and the rounds are 30” or bigger you need a lot of tonnage to get it done.

But the on my place where it is real rocky it is mostly hickory and oak. And hardly any of the tree lbs get over 18” in diameter and you can get away with a 20 ton splitter pretty easily.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of wood and how big are the rounds you are trying to split?

I only ask because. I know when we cut pecan and the rounds are 30” or bigger you need a lot of tonnage to get it done.

But the on my place where it is real rocky it is mostly hickory and oak. And hardly any of the tree lbs get over 18” in diameter and you can get away with a 20 ton splitter pretty easily.
I have lots of elm, oak, and hackberry ranging from 6" to a few that may be over 40". The large elm (estimated 12-24") will probably be the toughest.

I agree I may get by with less power, but the 30+ ton machines have other desirable features such as the Honda GX engine.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How I see it is that I go for the motor and hydraulic components over the features/manufacture. It’s a lot more expensive/difficult to replace the motor or rebuild the pump (typically if they’re crap you just gotta buy a whole new one) than it would be to add some extra steel for reinforcement or weld some hard face onto the cutting edge.

J-pitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice build.
I do have a lot of elm. Many yet to be felled, a huge dead one near my house that has to come down. A very large pile of mostly elm that I took down 3 years ago. Otherwise I have oak, hackberry and cedar.
Forget about splitting the elm , if it is too big to burn as is brush pile it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom