Which rig for pronghorns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that sucks balls, royally. How in the holy @#%@#% is that a controlled hunt? That's anything but controlled: "Sure you can hunt - maybe; just go get permission to hunt somewhere; good luck"; whiskey tango foxtrot!!!??!!!! :mad: :mad:

How is that any different than buying a tag? So all this is, is just drawing a "tag", not drawing a "controlled hunt" at all?

It said in the rules for the antelope section it is a drawing for hunts on private land. Written permission would be required. An open season wouldn't work that well, because 10000 people would be chasing farmers down. It won't be too hard to get permission. There are a couple of guys from that area on this board. If you spend a weekend a month before your hunt up there, you should be able to acquire permission on a few hundred acres very easily. Many landowners up there have more than a 1000 acres.

Reaction score
ok, thanks OB - major ripoff but still better than nothing. It is clearly a "tag draw", not a "controlled hunt draw". But if I was on constructive notice and didn't read it close enough, then my fault.

I'll do my research and start trying to find landowners, I guess. Thanks again.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it a ripoff??? That's the way it has always been done because there is limited public land in that part of the state.

Did you also miss the part where this is a once in a lifetime draw??

You just used your once in a lifetime chance on a doe tag.

Reaction score
Why doesn't the wildlife department help coordinate for you, by keeping lists and contact info of landowners, etc., and helping to match up and broker or facilitate deals, or at least communication? Then, that would make it at least sort of approach being what they bill it to be - a 'controlled hunt'.

On the lifetime thing, I don't care on pronghorn, because I just don't care about a trophy buck pronghorn - didn't expect to be drawn anyway, so it's just a bonus meat hunt - doe is fine. But you make a good point, because I do care on elk - I do bull only on elk.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you expect them to do the work for you??

From the Wildlife Dept controlled hunts application info:

Can only be drawn once in a lifetime if drawn in 2002 or later. Minimum age requirements for Controlled Hunts is 14. One applicant only; No group applications. Up to three (3) hunt choices may be selected. These hunts occur on private property. The Wildlife Dept. does not maintain a record of available private lands. It is the responsibility of all successful applicants to contact landowners and obtain written permission prior to hunting on private lands and the hunter must have this written permission in possession while hunting. Private land access fees may be charged by the landowner.

There are a very limited number of antelope in Oklahoma, thus the "controlled" part of the hunt, you should feel fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt them, instead, you complain because you didn't read the info and you expect the wildlife dept to do the leg work for you. Talk about ungrateful!

Reaction score
OK, I'm fortunate. I am, actually - I was just disappointed *relative to my expectations* - I didn't read the fine print because I'm just not all that interested in antelope, and none of my friends know much about it either.

So I will reserve that issue for another time; back to the topic at hand of which gun, please. :)

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that sucks balls, royally. How in the holy @#%@#% is that a controlled hunt? That's anything but controlled: "Sure you can hunt - maybe; just go get permission to hunt somewhere; good luck"; whiskey tango foxtrot!!!??!!!! :mad: :mad:

How is that any different than buying a tag? So all this is, is just drawing a "tag", not drawing a "controlled hunt" at all?

That does suck balls. I would likely just pay for a guided hunt for pronghorns in New Mexico or something. Would round out to equal a few weekends a month for the next few months scouting etc.

I like the .280. Have no idea why though. :)

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting drawn. When it comes to gun selection, think about what you can shoot accurately at 400 yards that will arrive with enough energy to cleanly harvest the animal and most improtantly "BUCK THE WIND". Boise City is not know for it's calm days or light breezes. Personally, I would go with the 280, as I think that the 243 will not do as well in the wind. My gun of choice is my 25-06 with hot handloads. Good luck.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why doesn't the wildlife department help coordinate for you, by keeping lists and contact info of landowners, etc., and helping to match up and broker or facilitate deals, or at least communication? Then, that would make it at least sort of approach being what they bill it to be - a 'controlled hunt'.

On the lifetime thing, I don't care on pronghorn, because I just don't care about a trophy buck pronghorn - didn't expect to be drawn anyway, so it's just a bonus meat hunt - doe is fine. But you make a good point, because I do care on elk - I do bull only on elk.

It's called hunting. You can't expect the wildlife department to set up everything for you. Otherwise it would just be called "shooting".

Latest posts

Top Bottom