Which round is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to apologize in advance for this thread as it's another "which is best" question for pig hunting.

So, a buddy of mine is getting married this fall and wants to do a pig hunt bachelor party. We are already scheduled for a ranch in May. I have a couple ARs and my trusty 30-06 to take with me (along with my bow). I am going to take the 06 for any shots >150 yds, but would like to use the AR if possible since follow-up shot would be faster. I've never had to shoot an animal twice before, but have also never hunted pig before.

On to my question. If I was able to find parts in stock, I would build a 6.8 SPC II upper, but being as that's really not an option I will have to stick to .223. I would prefer to shoot 62-68 grain sierra match kings, but being as they are elusive as leprechauns right now that isn't likely either. So, right now I have the following .223 bullets all 55 grain: Hornady SP, Hornady FMJ w/ cannelure, Hornady V-MAX, and some factory hollow points. If you were to pick one of these for pigs, which would it be? I understand these aren't ideal, but it's what I have and, more importantly, what is available!

Feel free to copy and paste the following if it applies to you: "I would not recommend any of the above. You were correct in wanting to use 62-68 grain SMKs and since you do not have any I would be willing to trade 100 of them for some of the bullets you currently do have. PM inbound with trade details and contact info."

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady SP placed in the right spot should be fine at close range. I would suspect that other than Barnes TSX most 223 hollow points are not designed to give you the penetration you will need.

Have fun...Don't forget to post story and pics!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the Match Kings. They are target bullets, not hunting bullets. That being said, I know some that use them.
VMax is for thin skinned varmints.
The Hornady SP would be my choice of the ones you list.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady soft point like already mentioned. But if there is very much cover close by I would prefer 1- 2 accurately placed shots from 30-06 over 4-5 shots from AR. You will come home with more hogs unless you are shooting piglets.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'll pick up some more 06 ammo before we head out. I'll use it for any mature pigs.

I will also load up a couple hundred SP rounds. With V-MAX and FMJ I typically load 24-25 grains of WC844 (335) powder. What would you recommend as a good load for the SP with hogs in mind?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Varget on 55 grain SP.
Don't remember the exact weight as I'm at work right now, but its a compressed load. Basically the case is completely full, and its compressed when seating the bullet. 3200 and something FPS.

As always, go with the most accurate load for your gun not necessarily the fastest.
Try the same load as the other rounds if its working for you, then test.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load .223 with Accurate Arms 2230. It is a ball powder and meters so nice. I load 50 grain bullets strictly for prarie dogs, yotes and grasshoppers when things get boring. I will have to look at a manual to give you safe load information for 55 grain.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the SMK bullets would give you better penetration than the lighter hunting bullets for the thick skinned hogs. I do agree that the SP would perform better than the VMAX bullets.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, pigs aren't that hard to kill, and I have used calibers ranging from 223 up to 9.3x74r as well as buckshot. My last 2 were killed with a 270 Win using hand loaded 150 gr Hornady Interbonds. The group was moving across a pasture at about 200 yards, and both pigs dropped from gut shots.

My choice between the calibers mentioned would definitely be the 30-06, and any cheap soft point ammo should work fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom