Which S&W .357 revolver would you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which S&W .357 Revolver would you buy first?

• Total voters

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My next purchase is going to be one of these, not sure which yet.

Poll is coming.

After voting specify what size barrel you prefer. Utility of gun will be for Carry, hunting, plinking, etc.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, to be picky, the first thing is to go back to the S&W book and get the model numbers straight, or just give choice for K or L frame, blue or stainless, and barrel length.
A blue 66 is a 19, a blue 686 is a 586, and so on.

K frames for carry and shooting lots of .38 and a little .357;
L frames for shooting lots of .357.
4" for carry, 6" or 8 3/8" barrel for hunting.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Which do you have already?

I say 8"3/8 686 because my friends dad has one and I'm jealous.

Dont own a Smith .357 yet

Well, to be picky, the first thing is to go back to the S&W book and get the model numbers straight, or just give choice for K or L frame, blue or stainless, and barrel length.
A blue 66 is a 19, a blue 686 is a 586, and so on.

K frames for carry and shooting lots of .38 and a little .357;
L frames for shooting lots of .357.
4" for carry, 6" or 8 3/8" barrel for hunting.

I have to plead somewhat ignorant to Model #'s and dashes as yet. working on it :wink2:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
like rod snell said, you have some model/finishes mixed up some. if it were me the 3 inch 66 (stainless) is a great all round carry/range gun. however, the 4 inch 586 (blue) with factory wood grips might just be the sexiest revolver ever made.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are these trick questions? :ugh2:

There's no such thing as a Smith & Wesson blued model 66 or a stainless model 19.

The model 66 was ONLY available in stainless while the model 19 was available in blued or nickel.

Same as the model 686. They were stainless while the blued and nickel L frames were the 586.

And the model 60 never came in blue, only stainless. The blued Chief's Special is the model 36. It also came in nickel and various barrel lengths.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For shooting and carring around in the woods I would get the 686. I have a 681 which is a fixed sight version of the 686. It is great and I have been on the hunt for a 686 ever since I shot the 681. You will not be dissappointed. It is just an all around good pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom