Which upper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have finally finished my first lower. RRA LPK in a MEGA lower with A2buttstock. My question for all the great minds out there is this...I want a 20" A2 upper but is it better to build one or buy an already completed one that is ready to go? Would love to hear everyones experiences and recommendations as this will be my first build.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always like the idea of building it myself or at least buying the components and having it built.

You going for an old school look?

[Broken External Image]

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any specific use(s) for it planned? If it's just for fun, I'd buy a complete one or gently used one. I think it would cost quite a bit more to build it yourself.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: Reread your post and saw you wanted an A2, not an A3.

I have the first upper listed on the page linked bought from PKfirearms.. 20" Sabre Defense 1/7 twist, govt contour barrel, complete for $590..Its every bit as accurate as my older HBAR without the weight and feels like a M4 govt profile..I would have gone with an A2 but are were harder to find it seems already built.
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/59/79

Sabre Defence 20 inch Govt Upper

Features a Sabre Defence 20" Gov't contour, 4150 grade Mil-Spec per MIL-B-1159E ( CMV ) chrome moly vanadium barrel with rifle length gas system, 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, M4 feed ramps on barrel extension, F marked front sight tower. Built on a Mil-Spec A3 flat top receiver with M4 ramps.

Includes AR15 bolt group assembly and forged charging handle.

These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I am. Just like in your pics there.

You know, I got into black rifles via the tacticool M4gery, however, the old school rifles have really grown on me. If I can get some current builds out of the way, I might be joining you with the classic A2 style. I dont know what it is, just some kind of beauty in its simplicity.

:offtopic::sorry1:

I think, ultimately, its up to you. Do you *want* to build it, or would you rather save the time and just buy a complete upper assembly. Either way, I want to see some pics once done.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I have a M4gery already that was issued to me through the department. I too like the old school full size rifle which is why I am going with a 20"barrel. I have the full lower done with the full A2 buttstock on it. This is going to be a plinking around/defense type rifle.You always love your first they say and I qualified "expert marksman" in the USAF with an M-16 A2. Ahhh the good ole days.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd build it. Sort of. I'd start with this:

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merc...re_Code=FG&Product_Code=604&Category_Code=NEW

Can't go wrong with Colt! It's hard to find the top tier quality A2 uppers with the good barrels. Start with a complete upper, then you can use whatever barrel and forearm you want. I'd go with an HBAR profile with a 1/7 twist or maybe 1/8, but at least the 1/8 as a minimum because you may be able to shoot the heavy weight bullets out of it if you were so inclined.

Latest posts

Top Bottom