Which water purification?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken a "layered" approach. This is how it goes ...

1. Got several weeks' worth of bottled water back for 2 for drinking only. Actually, even for the critters too, if I were to get right down to brass tacks ... This gets added to every time I catch bottled water on sale.

2. Have clean sand, charcoal and coffee filters to filter lake water (and the containers to go gather it in); and then ...

a. I can use a dozen or so 2 liter bottles and the 2 shiny metal trays I have for UV treatment or

b. I have several bottles of water purification tablets or

c. I have a couple of Berkeys (with several filters) or

d. I have a gallon of chlorine bleach around here somewhere (which I use regularly so what I have on hand is always fresh); or

e. I have several bags of charcoal that I can use to boil water if I have to, but I'd really rather use my fuel for other things if I'm having to "make do".

3. We also have a basketful of LifeStraws around here somewhere.

4. I know how to isolate the hot water tank and have a water bob for the bathtub if I get enough notice, but I'm not betting the bank on being able to use either one of those things for potable water. That would just turn out to be a bonus, if it happens.

Now that the city has passed an ordinance saying it's okay for me to catch rainwater and have containers visible, I plan on setting up at least 4 barrels that will hold a hundred or so gallons each of rainwater this summer ... One on each corner of the house ...

If the neighbor cuts down that gigantic oak tree in the back like he's been saying he's gonna do, I'll put a metal roof on the chicken coop and set two more barrels on the corners of it also.

One of these days I'd like to put a reverse osmosis filter on the kitchen faucet, at the very least ... Just because ...

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<snip>
One of these days I'd like to put a reverse osmosis filter on the kitchen faucet, at the very least ... Just because ...

We have had one of these for years and they are worth it. That is the only water that the wife uses for cooking and she does not have any lime build up on and of the pots. We don't need to clean the coffee pot with vinegar either. I also use that water in the humidifier and the wicks last for months instead of a couple of weeks. I would not be without one again.

They are not very good for shtf situations though, since there is waste water that goes down the drain and you have to have pressure for them to work. One of these days I would like to figure out some way to reclaim the waste water from the RO system.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for all of the input, and the opinions. I went with the hiker pro for my back pack. I will do something different eventually for the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom