Who can check headspace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Ruger M77 chambered in 22-250 that you have to slam the bolt shut when loading a round. I've had the gun a while, but just got around to firing it, kind of disappointing. This is dangerous and I'd like to get it checked by someone local.

Any suggestions?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weatherby said:
I have a Ruger M77 chambered in 22-250 that you have to slam the bolt shut when loading a round. I've had the gun a while, but just got around to firing it, kind of disappointing. This is dangerous and I'd like to get it checked by someone local.

Any suggestions?

Factory ammo or reloads? On reloads there are a few things that could cause the problem, those primarily being overall cartridge length. The projectile might not be seated deep enough or the cases could be stretched.

Factory ammo is going to be fairly uniform. The good thing is that 22-250 is fairly common so the chances of a gunsmith having the headspace gauges for it are better.

Last edited:
B

bottomcoon

i know dean renfrow has the proper gagues & can check it, mostly free but sometimes $5. he is a real gunsmith working full time at williams shooting supply in tahlequah. 918-456-4599 he's the only gunsmith i know who can cut down a tree & make your stock, checkered with inlays and build your rifle from a chunk of metal. he also does a fantastic trigger job for $25.

B

BK7saum

I take it the gun is not new. I would try scrubbing the chamber out good with solvent and brush. You might have a buildup of lint/debris in there. It doesn't take much to impede chambering a cartridge, just a few thousandths.

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a headspace problem? Is it possible that for some reason the extractor is not wanting to snap over the rim? A test for this would be to either remove the extractor, or slip the rim of a cartridge case behind the extractor claw, and try to GENTLY close the bolt.

^^^ This

22-250 is VERY high pressure cartridge (top of the chart). If there were any head-space problems - you'd know by now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom