Darn it--- short throat .223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could but I feel this one just got passed over during the last machining step and sent out.
Either way it is finished and cut to the same lead as my other Axis barrels.

Did not take very long to do it.
Now to remove a barrel from one of the actions and install this one.
:)
Any updates?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any updates?
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

I pulled out all the stops on this pieced together rifle.
The barrel as you all know is a heavy barrel Savage Axis barrel started out at 22" and I cut it with a hacksaw to 18" and then "slicked it up"

The stock is a Savage Axis I stiffened it up with metal rods and carbon fiber arrows and Epoxy.
The pistol grip area is full of JB Weld with 3 1/8" metal rods into it that extend down the top of the stock.
Top of the stock is filled 1/2" deep with JB weld and 2 OZ fishing weight is JB welded in the lower part rear of the stock.
Forearm is stiffened also.

The bolt assembly was bought off line and when I set the barrel on this action i had a Full length sized case in the bolt that I removed the firing pin from.
Twisted the barrel into the action until I got slight drag on the sized case when closing the bolt then backed off the barrel just the tiniest amount and tightened the barrel nut to 40 ft/lbs.
I used silver anti-seize on threads.

I went to the range yesterday and braved the wind and took my tools to back this barrel off if I needed to do that.

I did not need to do any of that.
First and second shot with my tried and true 55 v-max load of H4895 placed both shots within 3/8" of each other.

I continued shooting and everything I shot from it shot under 1" at a tick over 100 yards. 104 yards.

Wind died down a little towards the evening and this thing was shooting amazing groups.
To the point that I put nickles and pennies on the back stop and stuck holes into them.

The last group of the day after 35 or so rounds down the barrel is here.

I was aiming at the hole in the paper and sent 4 rounds into this group.
All chambered from the magazine and shot them as quick as I could get back on target.
Using Front bipod and rear bag off the top of my car with setting sun in my eyes.
.240" center to center. That fourth shot went a little right. Crosshairs cover about 1/2".

This thing shoots amazing. I hope it stays that way.

001.JPG

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

The barrel as you all know is a heavy barrel Savage Axis barrel started out at 22" and I cut it with a hacksaw to 18" and then "slicked it up"

The stock is a Savage Axis I stiffened it up with metal rods and carbon fiber arrows and Epoxy.
The pistol grip area is full of JB Weld with 3 1/8" metal rods into it that extend down the top of the stock.
Top of the stock is filled 1/2" deep with JB weld and 2 OZ fishing weight is JB welded in the lower part rear of the stock.

The bolt assembly was bought off line and when I set the barrel on this action i had a Full length sized case in the bolt that I removed the firing pin from.
Twisted the barrel into the action until I got slight drag on the sized case when closing the bolt then backed off the barrel just the tiniest amount and tightened the barrel nut to 40 ft/lbs.

I went to the range yesterday and braved the wind and took my tools to back this barrel off if I needed to do that.

First and second shot with my tried and true 55 v-max load of H4895 placed both shots within 3/8" of each other.

I continued shooting and everything I shot from it shot under 1" at a tick over 100 yards. 104 yards.

Wind died down a little towards the evening and this thing was shooting amazing groups.
To the point that I put nickles and pennies on the back stop and stuck holes into them.

All chambered from the magazine and shot them as quick as I could get back on target.
Using Front bipod and rear bag off the top of my car with setting sun in my eyes.
.240" center to center. That fourth shot went a little right. Crosshairs cover about 1/2".

View attachment 450243
Wow! First I want to say show off!
Good job! You built a sub moa rifle in an unorthodox way. Proof is in the puddling!
Are you going to thread the barrel for a break?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to thread the barrel for a break?
Never.
I do not like things hanging off the barrels of my rifles.
I have a threaded .308 and a .223 both bolt rifles and all my AR 15's are threaded and nothing on them except a nut.
Some do not even have that.
I shot with a break on a couple rifles and bought good breaks and after 20 rounds the accuracy fell off due to carbon building up on the muzzle.

Maybe it is just my luck or maybe I expect tighter groups.
All my rifles are just hunting rifles to put meat on the table and have a little range time fun.

I did make some Quiet rounds for yesterday shooting.
Buddy has a suppressor on his .223 and we shot 3 gr and 3.5 gr of red dot powder and 50 gr V-max bullets CCI 450 primers and another load that was 4 gr of Blue dot powder same bullet and primer.

Super quiet suppressed.
Zero recoil.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

View attachment 450243

Post a pic of that rifle!

I love hearing about hacksaws , jb weld , supplementing the stock with extra metal and arrow blanks
———. Then posting a pic of a sub -MOA group!

Kudos - a lot of us Wouldn’t even attempt a project like that

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a lot of us Wouldn’t even attempt a project like that
Only had to buy a couple tools I have never pulled barrel or stuck one on until this.
But the JB weld has been my friend for decades and the flimsy stock most swap out and toss the flimsy one.

My mind works different. If I am going to toss something in the trash anyway then no harm in trying to tweak it for the price of a burger meal.

:)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot this rifle again yesterday.
This time it was a little more windy but not awful.
This load is H335 at 25.5gr in Norma cases with 50gr V-max bullets seated 2.255" and CCI 450 primers.

.440" center to center for 4 shots sent as quick as I could get them on paper.
Shot #5 I let a friend shoot and he shot at a shoot and see target and nailed the center.
Here is the 4 shot group from yesterday.
Shooting off a wobbly plastic fold up table. 104 yards.
I sure like the solid concrete benches at the Lexington WMA range.

I shot other loads and found you really need to apply same pressure to the stock as free recoil vs solid against shoulder will string the shots horizontally in this rifle.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom