Darn it--- short throat .223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I got froggy and pulled a savage axis barrel off an action and tried to use a barrel I bought off someone here.
I get it set up and go to chamber a loaded round that my other 2 Savage Axis rifles eat like candy.

It would not chamber :(
The empty brass chambers fine.
I was using 55 V-max bullets and the other rifles like them seated 2.278" so i figured seat them deeper to 2.260 and should be good.

NOPE!
Dad gum throat is short in this one and even at 2.230" it will contact the bullet and have sticky bolt lift.

Yea that's not going to work out so i pulled that barrel back off.
It is not a pretty barrel but it is a heavy factory Savage Axis .223 barrel 22" long and I really have been wanting a short 18" one and i had cut this one to 18" last night and did all that to find out short throat.

I may one day get a throat reamer for it just to mess around with an 18" heavy barrel .223.
I even modified the Axis stock to fit that barrel.

Oh well.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I got froggy and pulled a savage axis barrel off an action and tried to use a barrel I bought off someone here.
I get it set up and go to chamber a loaded round that my other 2 Savage Axis rifles eat like candy.

It would not chamber :(
The empty brass chambers fine.
I was using 55 V-max bullets and the other rifles like them seated 2.278" so i figured seat them deeper to 2.260 and should be good.

NOPE!
Dad gum throat is short in this one and even at 2.230" it will contact the bullet and have sticky bolt lift.

Yea that's not going to work out so i pulled that barrel back off.
It is not a pretty barrel but it is a heavy factory Savage Axis .223 barrel 22" long and I really have been wanting a short 18" one and i had cut this one to 18" last night and did all that to find out short throat.

I may one day get a throat reamer for it just to mess around with an 18" heavy barrel .223.
I even modified the Axis stock to fit that barrel.

Oh well.
Have an 18.5 inch HB 308. Remy 700 fully blueprinted trigger job and wrapped in a flulike aluminum blocked after market stock. It needs a new home. 😉😉

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a HB savage that is 18" and threaded I love it.
I may never use the Threaded end though.
That is not a need for me just yet.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update.

I got my Pacific tool and gauge premium uni throater kit for .22 cal and it seems this barrel lead needs cut about .040"

I have cut .015" so far and this tool does not have any wobble and no sound when cutting.. nice and smooth. I am doing it slowly by hand without the T handle.
Glad I purchased it.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/throat-and-neck-reamers/5226-17-cal-uni-throater-kit.html
Yes a bit pricey but you can't go wrong buying tools.

May get to test the 18" barrel out soon.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resized cases fit just perfectly in the chamber as long as there is not any bullet in it or if you set the bullet back where the Ogive is in the case neck.

I think I know why this barrel was pulled off a rifle and sold.
Factory ammo will not chamber in it.
Bullets stick in the rifling.
Cutting the lead will fix it up perfectly.
I need to check my other .223 bolt rifles and maybe even some 5.56 rifles and see how they compare.

Project for tomorrow.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1706018381966.png

Looks like the Wylde is actually fatter in some places than the 5.56.
Look at the .078" number this is the distance from case mouth to the rifling in the barrel where it becomes .224" diameter.
5.56 is at .070" and the .223 is at .040"

I seen another drawing of the Wylde chamber and is it nearly the same and adds transition of .0158" after case mouth.

1706018669865.png

Now I did measure my lead today on four 5.56 chambers with the cutter tool I purchased.
It just cuts the rifling lead not any chamber.

I measured from the nut to the back of the tool and found differences in lead.
My .223 Savage Axis rifles I have 2 of them both measure exactly the same 1.910" from the nut to the back of the tool.
The problem child barrel I am cutting on right now measures 2.030".
That is 0.12" difference. If I was to stick a bullet in and chase the lands that would contact the lands 0.12" sooner.

The decimal point is in the right place over 1/10 of an inch.

Now I measured my wifes stainless Freedom PSA 5.56 rifle.
1.865" .045" different than the Axis rifle.. that seems about on par with the drawings above which should be .030" in a perfect world.

Now my Stainless freedom rifle that has been shot a lot.
1.782" which is .128" different than the Axis.

Now i have a couple 5.56 Parkerized PSA rifles that do not get shot much.. probably less than 100 rounds through them.

1.920" and another at 1.928" Both of those the lead is closer than the Axis rifle.
10 thousandths and 18 thousandths closer to the lands on these two 5.56 rifles than my 2 Axis .223 rifles.

Not all barrels are cut the same as we know..
But this shows me why my long seated 2.278" 55 v-max will chamber in a couple AR's and not another.

The cutter tool below. It has a sleeve that fits and bottoms in the chamber and a cutter that only cuts rifling lead.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom