Who is taking a kid turkey hunting this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have asked me to guide for the youth hunt too but I take family first. If I don't already have a kid going I am going to guide for them sooner or later.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful out there! Went just north of the Ok/Ks border today to hunt for morels. Killed a 16" prairie rattler not long before I spooked out a tom from some brush.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't get to hunt till this afternoon/evening, we had lot's of birds gobbling, but they were uncooperative until the last hour of shooting time. We had three longbeards come from three different directions, got to watch two of them hook it up pretty good for a couple of minutes. One gobbler had nine hens with him, other two were traveling with a single hen. At one point they were all within fifty yards, but we waited for a closer shot with the twenty gauge. Had one that eventually almost lost his life, two more steps around a brush pile and it would have been over, but he wouldn't get any farther from his hens. Will try again in the morning. She did still manage to harvest some supper though.:)
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_2161_1333242818590.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Imhntn- Did Dave or Andy talk to you about joining us??????????

Andy has been asking me for several years. He is an old hunting/church buddy. I have just always had a kid already I was taking or have been on an out of state hunt every time he has asked.

Took the nephew today and we were in turkeys all day long. Finally called in a jake close enough for him to shoot but we were out of the blind and moving and calling and it RAN in fast on his right side and he was having to twist hard and shoot before it got behind a brush pile and we just didn't get it done. We had them gobbling around us all day but it didn't seem like they were seperated from the hens yet during the day. We are going to give it another go before church in the morning. My brother's middle daughter took a real nice bird tonight. I took her last year for her first one in a blind and he had her on the ground this year just sitting against a tree. She shot it at 11 yards with her .410 and it had real nice spurs and an 11" beard.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Little breezy this morning, saw two jakes and three hens from a distance and they seemed to be on a mission to get somewhere. We sit where i've been seeing birds fanned out every morning on the way to work
but not this morning. birds this morn didn't act like they heard my calls over the wind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom