Whose deer is it? Three scenarios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whose deer is it?

Scenario 1:
More than one person hunting same piece of land (private or public). Shot/arrow fired by hunter 1 (H1), deer runs, hunter 2 (H2) fires shot/arrow at fleeing deer. Second wound did not stop the deer in its tracks. Deer expires. Two wounds are present.

Scenario 2:
H1 fires shot/arrow mortally wounding deer. The deer runs and lays down under H2 stand. H2 finishes off mortally wounded deer.

Scenario 3:
Deer shot. Runs onto neighboring land and expires.

I am pretty sure the answer to scenario 3 is that the deer belongs to the land owner. Whether or not they fired any shot/arrow.

Scenario 4:
Similar to scenario 1. Deer wounded by H1 at dusk. Not recovered that night. Next morning H2 goes to his/her stand/blind in the dark. The sun comes up and the deer is expired at the foot of the stand/blind. H1 comes walking through the woods to find the deer at the foot of H2 stand.

I have not had any of these scenarios happen to me, but I am curious to hear what ya'll think and say.

Happy hunting,
Dreaming Man / Tim Parrish
:osu

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you are hunting on the wrong piece of land.... if you've got hunters you don't know that close to you.

where I hunt the adjacent land owners would understand if you had to go on their land to retrieve a shot deer. on the same token... I've expressed that they are welcome to come on my side to retrieve shot deer.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:eek:
you are hunting on the wrong piece of land.... if you've got hunters you don't know that close to you.

where I hunt the adjacent land owners would understand if you had to go on their land to retrieve a shot deer. on the same token... I've expressed that they are welcome to come on my side to retrieve shot deer.

This was post 666 for you. That's out of the way now.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H1 has the rights to all the deer, even on the adjacent land. I am pretty sure you can cross a fence WITHOUT YOUR FIREARM to recover game.

It is my understanding that you must get or attempt to get permission to cross property lines to retrieve game. Even permission isn't granted I believe you can call the game warden who will then retrieve said game for you.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always gone by the rule that whoever fires the first good killing shot, gets the deer. If I gut shoot one and the next guy double lungs him, the deer is his cause I may never have found him anyway. That is what I learned in bowhunter ed class. I would never try to claim someone else's deer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H1 has the rights to all the deer, even on the adjacent land. I am pretty sure you can cross a fence WITHOUT YOUR FIREARM to recover game.

Big no-no! Nobody has the right to trespass for whatever reason with out the permission of the land owner.
Proper method is to approach the land owner to get permission. If that doesn't work, contact a Game Warden. He will contact the land owner to see if he can go in to collect the game. If the landowner is a jerk he can let the carcess rot. No crime has been comitted, and the warden does not have any right to cross a property line without due cause.

Latest posts

Top Bottom