Why are abused women arrested for defending themselves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeniii2

Marksman
Reaction score
I was a domestic violence detective for several years and don't know of any of the cases you speak of.....

Despite what some may believe, the current Tulsa County D.A.'s office has been very favorable regarding self-defense issues with very few notable exceptions i.e. Kenneth Gumm.

If a woman gets convicted for killing a domestic partner in Tulsa County, you can bet the farm there were some extenuating/mitigating circumstances that indicate that it was not a case of self defense.

Michael Brown

You're probably right.. I know as a civilian with no knowledge of the facts that I could very well be wrong.. I researched the most recent story I spoke of and found I was wrong on some of the facts.. It was the woman who shot her husband through the door while he was trying to gain entry..

I also know the media feeds you what they want you to know and always leave out important facts.. Kinda like what the BA Police were there for earlier in the day..

The Kenneth Gumm case made me second guess carrying concealed.. But I also realize he made a fool of himself parading in front of the cameras running his mouth..

Thanks for all the insight into this subject..

And thank you Mr. Brown for your service to the City of Tulsa...

greeniii2

Marksman
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mother. Did she call the police and file charges the first time it happened?

This all happened back in the late seventies early eighties.. Law Enforcement was a little different back then... They were called out to the house many times.. The final time my dad lined us up on the couch and proceeded to dry fire a revolver at us.. The neighbor seen this while mowing his yard and called the Police..

The Police came out and determined he was just a little too drunk and asked him if there was a place to go for the evening. They secured his weapon and he called my grandma to come and get him. My mom had a bruised cheek and a fat lip from the abuse earlier in the day.. But like every other time they were called to the house, he was just asked to leave..

She filed for divorce the next day and that was the last time he stepped foot in the house.. It was different for women to leave back in the day because they really didn't have anywhere to go.. Or so I have been told when I spoke to my mom years later after he died...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This all happened back in the late seventies early eighties.. Law Enforcement was a little different back then... They were called out to the house many times.. The final time my dad lined us up on the couch and proceeded to dry fire a revolver at us.. The neighbor seen this while mowing his yard and called the Police..

The Police came out and determined he was just a little too drunk and asked him if there was a place to go for the evening. They secured his weapon and he called my grandma to come and get him. My mom had a bruised cheek and a fat lip from the abuse earlier in the day.. But like every other time they were called to the house, he was just asked to leave..

She filed for divorce the next day and that was the last time he stepped foot in the house.. It was different for women to leave back in the day because they really didn't have anywhere to go.. Or so I have been told when I spoke to my mom years later after he died...

I agree that your moms situation was a tough one. Many women had nowhere to go, wouldn't leave their kids and couldn't make enough on their own back then to raise children on their own well.

The only thing worse than an abusive mate is an abusive adult to children in my book. I wish them all the rewards in hell they deserve. But in the here and now, each person is judged by their actions in a given situation. If you don;t want to get arrested for stabbing your abusive husband; don't get drunk, don't stay with him, and don't say you're sorry when the police arrive after you ignore the first two suggestions. Sad deal for all involved. We'll just have to wait and see what the DA's office does with the case. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom