Why are Oklahoma's roads so crappy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Thanks to CHenry and Ehlerdave..... got some objective insight from the other side.
No problem. I have been designing highways for 24 years and its really amazing how much there is to it. I like to try and get the information out when I can and hopefully wipe out some of the negatives people feel towards ODOT. These are honestly some of the most dedicated folks I know. Long hours for little pay a lot of times. And always the intent in with the driving public in mind. To provide a safe, economical and efficient transportation network for the people commerce and communities. (Our mission statement)

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem. I have been designing highways for 24 years and its really amazing how much there is to it. I like to try and get the information out when I can and hopefully wipe out some of the negatives people feel towards ODOT. These are honestly some of the most dedicated folks I know. Long hours for little pay a lot of times. And always the intent in with the driving public in mind. To provide a safe, economical and efficient transportation network for the people commerce and communities. (Our mission statement)

Do you have access to the information of what they are doing on Hwy 48 between Durant and Coleman? It looks like they are doing something major.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have access to the information of what they are doing on Hwy 48 between Durant and Coleman? It looks like they are doing something major.
You mean from Coleman south about 6 miles to the county line? That section is getting widened to add 8' paved shoulders. A few hills will get knocked down to improve the vertical grade and improve sight distance. $16.6 mil
Edit: 7.4 miles

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean from Coleman south about 6 miles to the county line? That section is getting widened to add 8' paved shoulders. A few hills will get knocked down to improve the vertical grade and improve sight distance. $16.6 mil

Thanks! I was hoping beyond hope that we would eventually get shoulders, and cut down on all these head on collisions. People pass slower moving traffic, often doing so over the solid line, and there's no way to get out of their way, without going off the road.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping beyond hope that we would eventually get shoulders, and cut down on all these head on collisions. People pass slower moving traffic, often doing so over the solid line, and there's no way to get out of their way, without going off the road.
I scoped that one in 2012. I assume they are breaking ground? Or just moving utilities still?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The size of aggregate changes for each job (each job has it's own specs) and for the purpose of the roadway. When working on I-35 we laid large aggregate for a base then they laid concrete on top of that.

Most first layers are bigger aggregate, the finish layer is finer to slow water soaking in, to try slowing the busting up during freezing.

The best question is how does such crap asphalt pass the tests the state orders.

I'm thinking that interstates are governed by different regulations about aggregate and the quality of the asphalt being used.

Case in point, all state asphalt roads are black, when they are laid down and through most of their life. They absorb vehicle lighting tremendously.

When traveling to our neighboring states, the road is almost a tan color. The aggregate at the surface is 3X the size of Oklahoma's.

Still waiting on clays response.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I scoped that one in 2012. I assume they are breaking ground? Or just moving utilities still?

Most of the advanced progress is immediately outside of Durant and is still within Bryan County. It has not made it into Johnston County yet. It looks more like they are making a 4 lane highway on 48, it is pretty massive. I was hoping maybe they would take it up past Coleman. But I am grateful for anything that they can do. Shoulders will make it much safer. If someone needs to pass me, I can just ease over and let them pass.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that interstates are governed by different regulations about aggregate and the quality of the asphalt being used.

Case in point, all state asphalt roads are black, when they are laid down and through most of their life. They absorb vehicle lighting tremendously.

When traveling to our neighboring states, the road is almost a tan color. The aggregate at the surface is 3X the size of Oklahoma's.

Still waiting on clays response.
The aggregate is whatever is near by to harvest. Interstates are no difference in pavement design other than consideration for % trucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom