why is this ammo not accurate? Your accuracy tweaks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the charges are way off.
is it the bullet pull between rounds ..could it be case neck thickness varies between rounds.

I wish i had some to take apart and measure.

I would drill a hole in 5 of the rounds through the bullet and measure how many PSI it took to pull each bullet.( i have done this test before on my ammo to determine pull and seating forces between different neck Id sizes and annealed vs non annealed cases)
I would take another 5 and measure the powder charge and bullet weight.
The case mouth opening after pulling the bullets would also be measured between rounds to check spring back.
I would also measure the case OD in many areas.

And last i would check case volume between cases.
This is the not so accurate ammo type that got me into reloading.

308 rem ammo.jpg

I have played with building ammo all different ways and for me and my gun the most accurate ammo is ammo with the same seating forces when seating the bullet. that is #1
#2 would be charge weight
#3 would be? and so on

What is your #1, 2, 3, and so on accuracy tweaks when building ammo

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not shot the Rem. Corelokt ammo but have the Corelotk bullet, IME the bullet is JUNK, at least in the 6.5 bullets that I have.
In my 6.5X55 swede this bullet shoots a 3.5+ in. group at a 100, a Hornady or Sieria of the same weight with the same loading
practices shoots under 2"
My loading tweaks are:
1 dedicate brass to rifle in ? then neck size only with some brand of dies better than LEE(RCBS, Redding ect).
2 pick a powder that fills the case to 85% or better.
3 Seat bullet OAL to just touch the lands if the magazine will allow, max length for the mag if not.
4 If neck tension seems to vary greatly then I dump powder remove primers and anneal the necks.
5 Check bullet to case runout, if it is more then .003 I use them for foulers/barrel warmers.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
back when i was younger (20 years+) i didn't have time to reload much because of kids and work. i was getting decent results with the core lokt stuff. in the last five years or so i have shot some 243 and 06. the results were horrible. i suppose its just quality control or the use of inferior components to keep the cost down

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hypothesis is that charge weight and brass uniformity vary drastically form case to case. From experience with Remington component brass, its soft and not very uniform. If you shot that box over a chrono, I would guess you could see some where up to 150+ fps or so extreme spread. That's been about what I have measured with factory ammo. Whether that range was due to powder charge or neck tension, I couldn't answer that question.

Recently I ran some 308 loads through my DPMS and had some serious pressure issues caused by bullet setback / improper neck tension. For hunting, the Federal Premium line is probably going to be some of the best stuff you can buy from the factory.

I use Lapua brass on my accuracy loads and never use an expander ball. With a bushing die my necks are very consistent, so for me it goes:

1. Primer pocket uniformity
2. Charge weight, I can vary charge by about .2 grn + / - and not see it on the target or chronograph assuming all other dimensions of the brass are consistent.
3. bullet seating depth, which is rifle dependent

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some remington bullets, and many other brands, looking for a good bullet my rifle liked. It delivered the worst accuracy. Nosler, Hornady and Sierra all gave tight groups. The reminton would be fine for close work. Many factors play into accuracy, I would try a different ammo.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot any in years, but CoreLokt 100 grain was the most accurate factory ammo for my Browning BAR .243. 1.25 MOA groups were easy, an occasional sub 1 group would show up. Plus I had excellent results with penetration and expansion on deer. But, like I said, that was years ago.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep same results.
Ammo i got in the 1980's was excellent 1.75" groups or bettin in my 30-03. same brand and weight in the 2009 year was 12" groups same gun and same scope.
I still had some ammo from the 1980's and shot it back to back against the new 2009 ammo and it still did 1.75" or better.
So sad what has happened to our good american made products.

Latest posts

Top Bottom