Why no traditional mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After looking at the new Beretta 1300, a question came to mind.

Why are there no removable box magazine fed autoloading shotguns for the sporting industry? I know you can get an assault style shotgun that is drum fed, but what about a sporter? - Something thats not assualt-driven like the Saiga.

Is there a technical reason for not being able to use a box-type magazine in a shotgun?

I'd love to get my hands on one I could take into the field.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a technical reason for not being able to use a box-type magazine in a shotgun?
Years ago, I saw a detachable box-fed bolt-action "sporting" shotgun (Marlin Original Goose Gun, maybe?), and we have the Saiga you mentioned, so I don't think there's necessarily a technical reason; my guess is that the manufacturers just don't see enough of a market for it to justify the cost of developing one.

ROI's a beeyotch sometimes...

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pfft.... who needs magazines?

www.tactical73.com_cmadmin_images_ksg.jpg

image.spreadshirt.com_image_server_v1_designs_12166900_width_18b823411069d4cf6c832703f7546776e.png

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*I looked it up for the rest of you guys:

a·nath·e·ma
/əˈnaTHəmə/
noun

something or someone that one vehemently dislikes.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would ask you why you would want one? is there an advantage in hunting?
is there a disadvantage to not even having a magazine?
Why are O/U's still popular in hunting?

I believe balance and weight is where the answer to the question lies.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never said I wanted one. Frankly, I think the magazine would get int he way. besides, most hunting I do with a shotgun I'm limited to three shells anyway.

It was more a question about design and why both handguns and rifles have seen the transition to box-type magazines, but it never took off in the shotgun.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was more a question about design and why both handguns and rifles have seen the transition to box-type magazines, but it never took off in the shotgun.
Rifles transitioned to box magazines because centerfire primers and pointy boolits are not the best of friends in a tubular magazine. Shotties don't usually have that problem, particularly in sporting arms.

I don't know for sure and for certain why pistols transitioned to box magazines, but I'd guess that it had to do with military applications--wheelguns are slow to reload, and their cylinders are a limiting factor as far as capacity goes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom