Why no traditional mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for me its about balance. and since most shotguns are designed to hunt there was never a need since most law's only allow 3 rounds in the gun for hunting

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
john moses browning is dead

As long as his design's are still going strong, he is far from dead. The Browning M2 .50cal is going on 90+ years on active duty, one hell of a track record!!

To the OP, the issue of box magazines probably had to do with the size of the shell(I know the Saiga has one), limits on number of rounds allowed during hunting, except for deer season most states limit capacity to one in the chamber an two in the magazine tube regardless of pump action, or semi-auto. Probably also had to do with balance, and proper functioning.

You do have some older bolt-action shotguns with a two round magazine, I never understood the purpose of a bolt-action shotgun, and some are tube fed. There have been several aftermarket design's for box fed shotguns, but they never seem to catch on. Usually by the time you hear or read about them they are gone from the market place. Saiga is the only one still around, but its about as butt ugly as you can get for a firearm. Some folks love them, and the rest pretty much hate them. I wouldn't say I hate them, but you'd have to pay me to take one.

:popcorn: :rotflmao::rotflmao:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ugly, in the way, and apt to malfunction are three reasons that most shotguns don't have removable mags.

I know it's heresy for some, but bolt action shotguns are famous for being the weakest actions, and the bulk of removable shotty mags are in bolt guns.

Additionally, people were always losing their magazines. I had a Marlin super goose 10 with a box mag that held two shells. With lead shot I killed one goose at an honest 90 yards. But, bolt shottys are really slow to operate, With the Marlin, the balance point was right where the mag was, making it hard to carry with one hand. I replaced it with a BPS 10 and killed a ton of geese with that gun.

Capacity could be increased, but extended tubular mags hold up to eight or so rounds and are much more user friendly. The old Winchester Model 12 held six in the mag, and older Mossy and Winchesters up through the model 1200 held five 2 3/4" rounds.

There are some rifles with detatchable mags other than what the media are pleased to call "assault rifles." Some of the Remington autos and pumps have such mags, but they tend to be fared into the lower part of the rifle. The newer Ruger .44 Mag carbines also have a removable mag that fits nicely. The one I had was an earlier one that used a tubular mag.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I already slam dunked the answer in post 8. thread should have been closed after that; so we dont get any "John Browning said so" posts. Oops, too late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom