Why not a Savage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something that has puzzled me ever since I got a Savage muzzleloader is why not everyone? It shoots clean burning smokeless powder, super accurate and lots of velocity. I understand the purists wanting to relive the frontier days with the old school flintlocks ect. I started with a Thompson Center in-line years back. When Savage came out with their muzzleloader, I got one the first year of production. I always hated the cleanup with blackpowder or Pyrodex. Anyway, just wondering what some of you guys think?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I just never saw one. I love savage rifles. My old knight mz shoots so good I've not shopped for a new one in 20 yrs. I just don't hunt with it much any more. I'm too busy with the bow and then the rifle. It has cost me a good buck by leaving it at home for the bow.

Reaction score
For some of us the journey is more important than the destination.

True, but for those folks like you, they're going traditional, not inline. So I think the question is valid, and I don't understand it neither. I have the 10ML and cannot wait to hunt with it for the first time come October 24th. It'd be different if it was illegal here. My buddy is in Colo. right now hunting elk with ML (he drew a tag), and they don't allow smokeless up there. But you could STILL use the 10ML and just load it with black powder equiv. It's very strong, smokeless-capable, very accurate, and very corrosion resistant. Only thing not to like is the long barrel. That's why I kept my short handy "youth" MLs that don't have sights on them. I don't want to cut down the Savage and lose the front sight, because I *may* someday also get a Colo. elk ML tag, and they ALSO do not allow telescopic sights. But you can bet I want to have the best ML in my collection to go after a bull elk with, and that means the Savage, albeit in Colo., loaded up wtih (hot) black powder loads, not smokeless.

But millions upon millions of inlines are sold, and some of them expensive like T/C. Why the T/C buyers don't step up to the Savage, I don't know. They are widely praised for their excellent accuracy. And obviously they are capable of a flatter trajectory than even the 150-BP equiv capable modern inlines.

My current 10ML has the camo synthetic stock, which although a quality piece, I hate the looks of (but I got a great deal on it used). So, my current plan is to get a 2nd 10ML, this one with the thumbhole laminated wood stock. Gonna cut that one down to 20" for my primary (Okla.) ML, and scope it - but then leave this camo one 26" with iron sights for in case I get the call for Colo. (draw the ML tag), or for that matter, for ML hunting in any other state that doesn't allow telescopic sights during ML season. Then I can sell my other ones except for 1 or 2 Hawkens (for wall-hangers or for when I just feel like going traditional), and the super light and compact youth .45 ML for taking my nephews in a few years.

**Oddly enough, although Colo. does NOT allow telescopic sights or smokeless powder, it DOES allow fiber optic "irons", conical bullets, and pelletized powder. I wish ALL states would outlaw all of these items during traditional season, but until they do, I'm going have every advantage that the guy on the next adjacent land has, where the deer run back and forth between.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my Dad a TC omega for Fathers day. He lives in CO, he called last week and told that gun brought down a nice trophy bull elk, 380 I believe. CO doesent allow smokless or pellets, sabots, optics.

Reaction score
Shotty, correct that Colo does not allow sabots, optical sights, or smokeless, but I'm fairly sure they DO allow pellets..... don't they? If not, then my buddy was hunting elk illegally week before last up there.

As you implicitly indicate, NON-saboted conical (non-ball) bullets are ok, too.

That's nice that he got his bull elk - sounds like a dandy. :)

Edit: Upon further research, I believe you are correct, shotty - what I'm reading indicates they do NOT allow pelletized powder there - hmmm. Seems like if they've gone that far, then they ought to just go all the way, and disallow inlines, removable breech plugs, and fiber optic sights too, and make it a true traditional.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom