Why shorter barrels on certain calibers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve noticed 308s tend to have 20 inch barrels. I’ve also noticed a Christianson Arms rifle in the classifieds that has a 22 inch barrel. It’s a 6.5 Creedmore. So my question is why the shorter barrels on these calibers? Wouldn’t longer barrels be more condusive for long range range shooting?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you find a good accuracy node and your long 22+" barrel does not whip too much you will
be accurate.
But take that same barrel and cut it to 20" or 18" and that accuracy node gets wider.
it is less finicky when temps change with the shorter barrel and easier to swing.

I was told by a friend that builds guns to cut my 24" savage 308 barrel to 18"
He went on for a couple years telling me this and said if you are not shooting 800 yards you do not need the extra velocity.

2 years making loads and wishing that 24" barrel was more accurate I gave in and cut it to 20.5"

WOW I was hooked then on his preaching of short barrels.
500 yards was the farthest i was shooting so he was right it was much more accurate.

I have an 18" thick barrel savage 308 now and love it even more than my 20.5" one.
I cut down my 6.5 CM and it does wonderful also.
No need for me to have a 22" barrel.
That 6.5 isn't that fast anyway. I wish I never bought it. My 308 and 30-06 do everything I need.

My friend believes in short barrels so much he cut his 338 LM to 18".
Literally zipped 3 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards with it.

Yea that is cool but a 338 LM needs it's legs stretched.
I do not think he has shot it since then. Probably scared he could not pull that off again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom