Why Subsonic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most precision .22lr ammo is also subsonic so they dont get smacked by the shockwave down range and throw off accuracy.

^This is why target shooters prefer subsonic ammunition.

When a bullet goes transonic (supersonic to subsonic) the shock wave will destabilize the bullet, causing it to yaw and accuracy goes to crap.

You don't see this happening the other way around because the bullet achieves supersonic speed while it is still in the barrel.

It takes a specially designed, extremely high BC bullet to remain stable through the transonic shock wave...and you won't find those in a rimfire.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Note that the CCI Quiet rounds may not exit the barrel of a rifle.

Wow, how often do they do that. I am on about 4000 of them and have a few dozen thousand more to shoot. When should I expect my 1st squib?

Honestly, I shoot them from my bolt action all the time. Have used them occasionally with 10/22 and Model 60's. I have also used them in pistols. The only problem I have ever had is not enough recoil to cycle a semi-auto.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, how often do they do that. I am on about 4000 of them and have a few dozen thousand more to shoot. When should I expect my 1st squib?

Honestly, I shoot them from my bolt action all the time. Have used them occasionally with 10/22 and Model 60's. I have also used them in pistols. The only problem I have ever had is not enough recoil to cycle a semi-auto.
It says on the box "DO NOT USE IN BARRELS OVER 24" IN LENGTH." There is probably a bit of CYA in that caution, and I'm glad your experience has been trouble free., I assume your rifles are under 24", and frankly, it probably wouldn't happen that often in longer barrels. It's not an unreasonable warning though.

Steve Taylor

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple of things to consider when using subsonics. First, if you are using a semi-auto they may not eject. Second, in pistols, there is not much difference between sub sonics and hv ammo, because hv usually do not get to velocity in a short barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom