Wife picks her carry gun, Beretta Tomcat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blued or INOX? I like the Bobcats and Tomcats, they are fine for very close range. The Tomcat does SOMETIMES develop a crack on the frame inner rails, more often in the blued. Sweet little guns!

Blued, not something I am pleased to hear, just hope she doesn't have the problem. Seems as though most autos have some issues. I have had to work on most everything I have except my Browning Hi-Power. Actually I did work on the Browning but not because it broke.

One thing we saw with the Tomcat was a couple failures to feed with hollow points. It has a ridge at the top of the barrel, it's the inset for the case rim. The flat nose of a hollow point will sometimes get hung up on that ridge. I'm going to smooth it off just enough so the nose of a hollow point will go ahead and chamber. Shouldn't effect the strength or operation. Might effect accuracy a bit but doubt it will even do that.

Speaking of accuracy, friend of mine put a whole magazine into a quarter sized group shooting off hand at 21 feet with that little gun. I was impressed...

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
of the two that have ever came across my hands one was broken and it was not from the infamous frame problem... Beretta makes good stuff that is usually built tough but their warranty sucks. Sorry OP.... Not trying to pee in your Cheerios.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went gun shopping with the wife yesterday to buy her carry gun. At first I was thinking revolver because she has arthritic hands and has a real problem racking slides on my autos. She fondled several small revolvers including a Ruger LCR but almost as soon as she saw the little Beretta Tomcat and discovered she didn't need to rack the slide to load it she was sold. She didn't care for the width of the revolvers nor the double action triggers.

She can load the magazine on her Tomcat, flip the barrel up, put the 8th round in and carry it cocked and locked. She likes the single action trigger and is practicing presenting while flipping the safety and getting off 3 fast shots. Glad I'm not the silhouette, she is hitting a little high but still within the center of mass.

Comparing it to my KelTec P3AT, it weighs a tad more, is a bit wider but is actually about 1/4 inch shorter. I like everything about her choice cept wished it was a 380 instead of a 32. That being said I shot a CorBon 32 JHP into a couple gallon water jugs and was truly impressed. Classic mushroom, bullet almost turned inside out. Exploded the first milk jug and was in the second, neglected to look and see if it dimpled the back of the second jug but it sure made a big hole going in.

I like it so well I may sell my P3AT and pick up another one for a backup to my P11.

I must ask, why carry it C&L with the safety on? Can she not operate the DA trigger pull? If I might suggest, if she is going to carry it, at the least, load it and leave the hammer down, and cock it when she presents the weapon. Those little safeties on the small Beretta's are easy to be knocked off, and if its banging around in her purse, it wouldn't be long before something gets inside that trigger guard. These little guns were designed to be loaded with the hammer down, and fired DA for the first shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom