Wild hogs good to eat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys that have shot the hogs do you butcher the small one's? I've been told to leave the big hogs because they're not worth eating, I've also been told the coyotes won't eat them. This winter I might try to hunt some hogs and thought about cleaning a small one.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We like to trap em live, corn feed em for a couple weeks or three and then get to eating. Yes they are good eating. If you can't trap em live, then by all means eat the young smaller ones.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're great eating. In fact, we had smoked piggy ribs for lunch today...great stuff. I've seen some of the larger ones get pretty smelly, especially if they run very long.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only bad one I ever had was a 375lbs boar, my dogs wouldn't even eat it.ill shoot the little ones if I can 40lbs and under,gut em,skin them and cut off the head and the fit right in the smoker whole

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coyotes will eat 'em. Some bubba wounded one in the 400 pound range a few years back, and it died on my deer lease. I decided to take the skull after it rotted a bit. Something ate him all gone in less than a week, and the skull disappeared too, though bubba may have done that. He had nice cutters.

Buzzards like 'em, but something land based did most of the eating, and I t pretty much had to be coyotes.

I made sausage from one in the 250 pound range, and was the only one in my group who liked it. Needs lots of spice, and as hot as possible for sausage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom