Wild hogs good to eat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We eat lots of 'em at my house. Little ones get smoked whole....big ones get backstrap made into stir-fry, ribs get smoked. Hams, shoulders get cut into chunks for pozole, or ground up for dirty rice, some gets made into Italian sausage. I killed two big smelly boars in Feb - (200# or so) they were quite tasty.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyotes will eat 'em. Some bubba wounded one in the 400 pound range a few years back, and it died on my deer lease. I decided to take the skull after it rotted a bit. Something ate him all gone in less than a week, and the skull disappeared too, though bubba may have done that. He had nice cutters.

Buzzards like 'em, but something land based did most of the eating, and I t pretty much had to be coyotes.

I made sausage from one in the 250 pound range, and was the only one in my group who liked it. Needs lots of spice, and as hot as possible for sausage.

I found a dead one on my lease a few years ago I figured got hit by a car ,he was only 30 yards off the road and I couldn't find any bullet or arrow holes in him. every morning and evening for a week I sat in a tripod stand and watch other pigs eat on him

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot two. One boar was over 200 lbs and rancid.

The other was a small boar about 100 lbs. Great eating. Tasted like pork back in the day tasted. Actually had some flavor.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot one but I think I would like to head shoot a little bitty piglet and put it in the smoker.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I do love crappie...and elk...and quail...and pheasant...and beef...but squirrel is my favorite!

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
k, looking for the same opinion... so far over the last 2 years on my new lease... we've take 3 male hogs 300-400+ lbs. Smelly as all hell, so bad it was hard to get within 20 feet of it. Processor said they wouldn't take anything that big or that smelly. So far we are just dumping the bodies at the corner of the property for the coyotes. Funny enough the last one we put a camera on to watch and it was other hogs going after it. So far we haven't shot one we could stand to be around... so my question is this, is getting past the smell the trick to harvesting the meat or do we just have stinky pigs on this side of Oklahoma?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every hog I've ever taken, couple dozen from the Kaw wma, handful from Harmon county, all tasted pretty bland. Had to spice em up for any flavor. Just started donating/giving it away. Didn't even bother to pick up the last few. Left em where they fell and popped coyotes off of em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom