wild pigs and brucellosis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oksmle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between my son, son-in-law & myself, we have probably killed & eaten twenty or more in the last ten years. We haven't hunted them yet this season. We try to take those weighing not more than about 120 pounds & haven't been disappointed in the results. All of them were taken down along the Red River & the shooting was pretty close. Cook them well done. (Rare looks pretty, but well done is safer & tastes better).
Dick S.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
It is called undulant(sp) fever in humans. It is definately something to be concerned/aware of. The treatment requires large prolonged doses of antibiotics.
I would say an infected rate of 4 out of 5 is very high, if not exagerated.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother gave one to his pastor and his pastors wife got some disease from it that has really caused her a lot of grief over a long period of time. I'll try to find out what it is but I'm thinking it was some type of parasite that she got from not cooking it well enough.

DogBabe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I can tackle this one. The strains of Brucella carried by various animals, including dogs, are different. There can be cross-infection to some small extent, but hogs carry B. suis, cattle are B. abortus, dogs are B. canis etc. Brucellosis is a reportable disease and cases of it in the US are very rare in animals and humans thanks to eradication programs. To give you an idea of your risk of human infection, there has been less than 1 reported case per year in oklahoma since 1991 and most of these cases can be linked to travel outside of the United States.
There was a survey of the rate of B. suis infection in feral hogs done as recently as '09 with an estimated 4-5 million feral hogs in 35 states. 10 of these states were found to have endemic B. suis in their hogs and Oklahoma was not one of them. However, Texas was so the possibility of infection is always there as pigs are excellent swimmers! :)
B. suis is not present in our domestic hogs here in Oklahoma and there is constant testing to ensure that. If B. suis were present in our feral hogs at any significant percentage, you can be assured it would have popped up in the domestic herds. It simply hasn't at this point in time.
The bottom line is, Go ye hunt and kill! Wear your gloves when you dress your hogs and be clean. Cook them properly and enjoy.
You have more to worry about driving to and from hunting than you do about Brucella in the hogs you kill.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sound like you know what you're talkin about. Either you are well educated, or a good BS'r... I respect both!

Maybe I can tackle this one. The strains of Brucella carried by various animals, including dogs, are different. There can be cross-infection to some small extent, but hogs carry B. suis, cattle are B. abortus, dogs are B. canis etc. Brucellosis is a reportable disease and cases of it in the US are very rare in animals and humans thanks to eradication programs. To give you an idea of your risk of human infection, there has been less than 1 reported case per year in oklahoma since 1991 and most of these cases can be linked to travel outside of the United States.
There was a survey of the rate of B. suis infection in feral hogs done as recently as '09 with an estimated 4-5 million feral hogs in 35 states. 10 of these states were found to have endemic B. suis in their hogs and Oklahoma was not one of them. However, Texas was so the possibility of infection is always there as pigs are excellent swimmers! :)
B. suis is not present in our domestic hogs here in Oklahoma and there is constant testing to ensure that. If B. suis were present in our feral hogs at any significant percentage, you can be assured it would have popped up in the domestic herds. It simply hasn't at this point in time.
The bottom line is, Go ye hunt and kill! Wear your gloves when you dress your hogs and be clean. Cook them properly and enjoy.
You have more to worry about driving to and from hunting than you do about Brucella in the hogs you kill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom