Winchester 748 powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anybody use winchester 748 powder for 223/308?? If so let me know how you liked it or hated it. What kind of groups you got and or functionality of gun
Thanks

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load it exclusively in my .223's bolt guns all with nosler bullets. 50 55 gn ballistic tips and 60 gr partitions. It meters well and I've had the best luck with federal primers. Win second and cci and Remington not so much. It's a touch heat sensitive. On a hot day shooting lots of prarie dogs accuracy diminishes. Attached is a 5 shot group I shot with my old mdl 70 varmint at 100 yds at banner range off a bipod and sand sock. That group was shot using nosler brass and 50 gr nosler bt and fed 205 gmm primers. It seems to be consistent lot to lot also. It's a touch dirty but not terrible.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used it in my 223 and 308 AR's. Not the most accurate powder that I've used in either, but it meters well and gives decent results. It is temperature sensitive though, to me anyway. I don't load it near max when shooting in warm temperatures. I can look up bullet weights, powder weights and groups when I have more time.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used 748 for a very long time. For me it provided very good accuracy in 223. I was not happy with accuracy results in 308, but have to admit I did not try many different bullets.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That group is very nice!! That's a bummer about the heat sensitive since its starting to warm up. Im new to the reloadi family. I noticed I could load 748 in my 223 & 308 so I bought a pound of it and was wanting some input on the powder. I hear varget is very good but seems to be dried up in my area so I got the 748 and going to give it a try. Thanks for the replys.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warmer air temps won't be a problem. Just don't load it near max and leave your ammo in the sun or in a hot vehicle, or leave a round in a hot chamber very long. I like Tac also for powder measure loads in a 223.

Latest posts

Top Bottom