Winchester model 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, a person I work with has a Winchester model 12 in 16 ga he wants to get rid of. I know these old shotguns have some collector value, but not sure how much. The gun is in maybe 85% condition, the problem is, that it has a poly choke installed. I know that's little information, but can anybody give me an idea of the value of something like this?
Thanks

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really up to speed on Win M12s, but I would think the Poly choke pretty well kills any collector interest. I would check the online auction sites and see what comparable M12s are going for.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Older shotguns are less valuable than newer ones unless they are of the rare variety.

if it is more than 10 years old it is worth between $200 and $300

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good 12 (even with a poly choke) would be worth $425 to just about anybody.... I'd offer $350 and see what he says.

12's and 20 guages should be worth a bit more than 16's...

there are a lot of used W12 parts around if you really want to get rid of the pickle... or you could have a 'smith remove it and thread the gun for choke tubes... any way you slice it... a W12 is a highly regarded shotgun... and 10 times the quality of most of the new pumps sold today.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may not be a "poly-choke".

The Cutts Compensator was commonly used.

Some do not care for the appearance of such devices, but having used several shotguns fitted with Cutts, they seemed effective.

Nostagia tripping..........

One of most useful shotguns I've ever had was a 20" barreled Model 12 (12ga)with a Cutts.

Not pretty, kinda battered/beaten as well-used field guns ought to be.

The appearance of the old Model 12 with the Cutts on the barrel was often bad-mouthed by my "friends", but man that shotgun balanced well and it operated as smooth as silk.

That old Winchester was a genuine, bonafide, game-killing machine.

I have never owned another shotgun (not even my custom/fitted shotguns) that ever suited me as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good 12 (even with a poly choke) would be worth $425 to just about anybody.... I'd offer $350 and see what he says.

12's and 20 guages should be worth a bit more than 16's...

there are a lot of used W12 parts around if you really want to get rid of the pickle... or you could have a 'smith remove it and thread the gun for choke tubes... any way you slice it... a W12 is a highly regarded shotgun... and 10 times the quality of most of the new pumps sold today.

I have a 1928 vintage model 12 that I wouldn't take $400 to part with.
I still hunt with it.
They are great guns. I wouldn't mind having a 16 to go with the 12ga.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was built in the 1919-20 SN range. It needs a little work (slide hook is worn) and I should refit the add-on recoil pad that was added years ago.

$425 would fetch an "experienced" plain feild version .... real nice ones could bring closer to $600. A Black Diamond or one of the factory custom guns will bring a huge premium.

Dad was a Model 12 guy...

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WFT said:
Hey guys, a person I work with has a Winchester model 12 in 16 ga he wants to get rid of. I know these old shotguns have some collector value, but not sure how much. The gun is in maybe 85% condition, the problem is, that it has a poly choke installed. I know that's little information, but can anybody give me an idea of the value of something like this?
Thanks

Trolling Gunbroker over the past year or so, I've seen M12s like this go in the mid $300s. Most people who buy field-grade 12s (which is what I'm guessing you have) aren't collectors. They just want a shooter and they have good taste in shotguns. Thus, they are willing to pay less for a 16 gauge since that's not a common gauge anymore. There may be some collector interest if the Poly-Choke is factory original; I'm not sure if they ever were factory original, or how to tell if they are, since the awesome Model 12 reference I've read is at my parents' house.

If you're willing to reload 16 gauge then I'd try to get it for around $300. I'm a huge fan of Model 12s and I think everyone should own 5.

if it is more than 10 years old it is worth between $200 and $300

Well since they quit making the Model 12 (not counting "Y-model" limited production runs) in 1964 and they regularly sell for $400 and up I guess you should stop talking about things you don't know about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom