Woman Dies After Failing To Learn How to Fight With Her Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the jist of the post, but I can find dozens of reports that show women that did the same thing successfully defended themselves.
The NRA magazine lists several stories each month that list where normal citizens with little training, have defended themselves and their families with the minimum training.

I've seen shooters with tens of thousands of rounds down the pipe get a disqualification for an unsafe act at a match, and a malfunction will negate any training. Training will help overcome a malfunction, but some just can't be overcome.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how misleading ... she got off one shot which hit his leg .. then her gun jammed .. then she panic and ran instead of reaching for her backup gun and/or clearing jammed gun .. who knows we were not there ...

her mistake was in part either a poor choice of firearm and/or not running enough ammo through her firearm to prove reliability. but even that may not be true as any gun can jam .. even revolvers can jam but odds are very much in your favor of a revolver not jamming. that's why Walther PPK was put away in favor of 340PD revolver for CCW .. when it has to fire!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So an article blaming the victim for her own death and not even a full sentence focusing on the fact that it was her ex-boyfriend that shot and killed her. Did she have a lack of training? probably. Did she panic? so it seems, but tell me how the odds would have been better if she had been completely unarmed.

(&)&(^& slanted.. &*&^&%@@ media^&^@#!@@ distorted@!(*#($@*$!# agenda reporting@#!@$!# ARG

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Revolvers are good choices for this type of new shooter. My wife has one for this very reason.

revolvers are good for anyone wanting to CCW .. one drawback is difficulty of achieving accuracy without practice.
being able to put all five shots inside a pie plate at 10yrds with a snub nose revolver is an absolute must.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get why people would want to carry revolvers but I am a semi auto guy. I understand that my glock "could" jam but I will take the chance. A revolver just don't have the rounds that I feel Comfortable carrying. And reloading takes a lot of practice. Of course that goes for semi autos too. That's why I practice reloads all the time. The fact remains that even with a boat load of training when the real thing happens none of us know how we will react. I hope that I wouldn't choke but I couldn't say. Sure training would help to better prepare you for when the real thing does happen. But training is expensive and some people just can't afford it. Some can barely afford to have a pistol as it is. I just pray if I am ever in the need to use my pistol that I do everything right and make it out of the confrontation safe and lawful.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard it argued by a nationally known, highly respected trainer, that revolvers are not the way to go. A good semi auto is better.
Why?
Because revolvers do have stoppages (I've had one) and when they do stop there's no quick way to fix it.
The vast majority of stoppages with a semi auto can be cleared in a second or two with a little training and practice.

Just food for thought.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If training was more readily available, and affordable, more people would be better served.
I'm offering a class on basic handling rules, gun maintenance, clearing malfunctions and basic reloading techniques
No shooting, handling Only.....2 hr class....$20
If it helps one person, it will be worth it.......
For beginners and gunslingers a like.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom