Wool Clothing......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it worth the price? Anybody have good or bad exprience? Pros or cons? Thinking of buying some in the next couple of weeks.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love finding good thick, lined flannel shirts and occasionally pants at thrift stores. Layer a couple shirts, sweatshirt and a Red Head hunting jacket and I'm pratically roasting except on the coldest of days - like this week and weekend. You can't beat the price, fo shizzel (sp?)

Beerzerker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess it depends what you are doing.

If you are possibly going to get wet, then wool or synthetics are the only way to go.

If you are going to stay dry, then goose down or even duck down is good too.

Cotton kind of sucks for warmth, wet or dry, but generally its cheaper.

I definitely don't hunt in my down jacket because I don't want to get it dirty or rip it.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, one of the challenges in deer hunting is getting to the stand without breaking out in a huge sweat. So a base layer that does not absorb moisture is desired. I can't wear wool as a base layer - too itchy.

I have a WWII 100% wool sweater and undershirt and these are pretty warm, but when sitting in a tree stand i don't think they make that much difference for me.

I like the underarmour cold gear which keeps me pretty warm but the main point is that it does not absorb mositure.

I think wool really made is mark years ago when it was one of the few materials that could still insulate when wet/moist. Now we have other materials that don't absorb moisture and can still insulate even when we are really sweating.

But, i don't have any of the new high dollar stuff so i would be interested to know if it made a big difference.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely love wool. I wear some wool shirts and sweaters for work and they're awesome. I've also got a pair of Columbia wool bibs and a Columbia hooded coat, as well as a Cabelas sweater with wind shear. I love it for most types of cold weather hunting. I'd like to find a pair of wool bdu style pants for a little warmer days. It's quiet and if maintained properly (dry clean only ) should last a lifetime. I bought mine at a wholesale place in nw Arkansas pretty cheap. The sweater I picked up at the bargain cave in Sydney Ne when I was out that way and is one piece of gear that I would gladly pay 2-3 times what I paid for it. It's that nice and useful, especially for late season predator hunts. I wear some surplus ecws bottoms and an under armor top with little else unless it's super cold, wind or drizzling then I'll add another layer. If I need to upgrade anytime I might consider brownings wool outerware, as it's not quite as dark a pattern. Good luck I don't think you can wrong with wool.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tt=waterfowl&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

This one is the best ever! I've worn this for 5 year, only hand wash once in every season and still in good. I wear a thermal Under Armour and this sweater sometime wear a cold if it is nasty cold. I've hunted in -5 wind chill for goose hunt last year in blizzard and with this sweater; I never got cold at all. Also my families, wife, and 3 buddies have those as well and they love it.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely love wool. I wear some wool shirts and sweaters for work and they're awesome. I've also got a pair of Columbia wool bibs and a Columbia hooded coat, as well as a Cabelas sweater with wind shear. I love it for most types of cold weather hunting. I'd like to find a pair of wool bdu style pants for a little warmer days. It's quiet and if maintained properly (dry clean only ) should last a lifetime. I bought mine at a wholesale place in nw Arkansas pretty cheap. The sweater I picked up at the bargain cave in Sydney Ne when I was out that way and is one piece of gear that I would gladly pay 2-3 times what I paid for it. It's that nice and useful, especially for late season predator hunts. I wear some surplus ecws bottoms and an under armor top with little else unless it's super cold, wind or drizzling then I'll add another layer. If I need to upgrade anytime I might consider brownings wool outerware, as it's not quite as dark a pattern. Good luck I don't think you can wrong with wool.

I have the same stuff exactly. The sweater with windshear is the best piece of hunting clothing I own. It is just heavy enough to put on the outside layer and you very seldom need heavier in OK. The columbia stuff is great but only when it is very cold or sitting still on stand. It is just too warm to wear if you are moving around much at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom