Where to buy Duck cloth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to reupholster a hide a bed sofa and wanting to use duck cloth. My wife doesn’t think this is the best idea but I am looking at options around the feel and weights available.

Does anyone know a place that carry this type of fabric? I bought fabric from Oklahoma upholstery supply in Tulsa, but I found out they have been closed a couple years.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to reupholster a hide a bed sofa and wanting to use duck cloth. My wife doesn’t think this is the best idea but I am looking at options around the feel and weights available.

Does anyone know a place that carry this type of fabric? I bought fabric from Oklahoma upholstery supply in Tulsa, but I found out they have been closed a couple years.
I did not know that.. to bad.. did a lot of business there over the years

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@SlugSlinger I was in a hurry to meet the neighbor. I need to mention (in case you don't know a lot about fabrics) that JoAnn's duck cloth runs the gamut from "OMG are you sure this isn't cheesecloth" to "WOW! Is this marked right because that's an insanely low price for the quality". And sometimes the amount of sizing a manufacturer uses can hide a multitude of sins.

If I were you and I found something at JoAnn's I liked, I would buy a yard, no less than a half yard, take it home and wash it in the sink with some laundry detergent, rinse it well (until the water runs clear) and toss it in the dryer on low until it's dry. Then you can see what you will wind up with after a little wear (because sizing will wear off over time) or if you have to spot clean an area or even steam clean the whole project, in the future. You can also run that sample through your machine and check to see how the weave will pull at pressure points.

THEN ... If your sample passes the testing, download the store app and see what kind of price breaks you can get. It used to be that employees 😁 would let you use their app to scan coupons but JoAnn's "fixed" their app where coupons from one phone can't be used more than once in a sale period. :bah:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd buy Naugahide.

Comes from these creatures called Naugas

1689549538425.png

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@SlugSlinger I was in a hurry to meet the neighbor. I need to mention (in case you don't know a lot about fabrics) that JoAnn's duck cloth runs the gamut from "OMG are you sure this isn't cheesecloth" to "WOW! Is this marked right because that's an insanely low price for the quality". And sometimes the amount of sizing a manufacturer uses can hide a multitude of sins.

If I were you and I found something at JoAnn's I liked, I would buy a yard, no less than a half yard, take it home and wash it in the sink with some laundry detergent, rinse it well (until the water runs clear) and toss it in the dryer on low until it's dry. Then you can see what you will wind up with after a little wear (because sizing will wear off over time) or if you have to spot clean an area or even steam clean the whole project, in the future. You can also run that sample through your machine and check to see how the weave will pull at pressure points.

THEN ... If your sample passes the testing, download the store app and see what kind of price breaks you can get. It used to be that employees 😁 would let you use their app to scan coupons but JoAnn's "fixed" their app where coupons from one phone can't be used more than once in a sale period. :bah:
Thank you for the color! I will definitely follow your logic and advice.

I’ve helped build a ton of upholstered furniture, but the interior decorators provided the fabric so I have limited knowledge on the fabric side.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd buy Naugahide.

Comes from these creatures called Naugas

View attachment 393711

I am replacing the Naugahyde I covered the sofa with last time. That stuff has lasted many years of abuse.

I bought it at the supply shop that closed a couple years back. I don’t know where to get it now, other than online. That’s why I’m leaning to the duck cloth/canvas/Carhartt wannabe. That stuff seems like it would hold up to the grandkids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom