World's best Zastaza PAP AK-47 conversion from Two Rivers Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I struggled with choosing an AK-based rifle. The Century WASR-10 can be had ready to go, with threaded barrel, high-capacity magazine well and Century installed compliance parts, but the fit and finish is disappointing. The Saiga appeared to have better quality than the WASR, but required movement of the trigger to add a pistol grip and the front sight needed to be removed to cut off the sleeve that blocks barrel threading. It would have been a good choice, since the receiver and front trunnion needed little or no work, but I really wanted the Yugo. The Zastava has that good Yugo quality, fit and finish, plus I just like the look of the Yugos, but it is without a doubt, the most challenging to convert. Seeing how others converted theirs with Dremel tools, I was disappointed in the finished result and I couldn't bring myself to just start hacking away, so I started looking for a better way.

I took my new purchase to Steve at Two Rivers Arms for conversion and have been blown away at the quality of their work. They completely disassembled the rifle and drilled out the front trunnion for machining of the magazine well and removal of the extra material on the feed ramp and removed the front sight for threading the barrel on the lathe. I wanted as many US parts as possible inside the rifle, so I could remain in compliance regardless of what magazine I wanted to run and allow the future installation of any furniture I wanted regardless of origin. Two Rivers Arms installed a US-made Tapco trigger, disconnector, hammer, piston and brake. Zastava had basically destroyed the bolt by grinding the stripping lug shorter and narrower and shortening the length of the bolt, requiring replacement of the bolt with a standard unit to ensure proper feeding.

I can't wait to get it back and try it out. All the work, including parts is about $250. Steve said he would entertain future conversions in their manufacturing facility, so I'm getting my buddy to take his Siaga in for the treatment.

Before:
Notice the ledge on the feed ramp that is only suitable for the PAP single-stack magazine.
i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5262.jpg

The receiver opening is too small, the lower bolt guide rails have big pads hanging over the dimples to secure the much narrower PAP 10 round, single stack magazine.
i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5261.jpg

i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5260.jpg

i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5259.jpg

After:
Notice the quality of the enlargement of the receiver and the superb machine work Two Rivers Arms performed on the forward trunnion. Finish work like this is made possible only by removing the trunnion from the firearm and working it over on the mill. Also note the quality of work where they removed the added hangings on the lower bolt guide rails.
i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5365.jpg

i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5366.jpg

i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5369.jpg

i167.photobucket.com_albums_u146_flybeech_Zastava_20PAP_20AK_47_SANY5363.jpg

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree Superdave, its an owner who is showing off his rifle he had worked over that he is proud of.

If the poster was an employee of Two Rivers saying "Look what we can do" then I would tend to agree with you.

Though it would be cool to get an AK platform focused sponsor here, we don't have any currently.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like nice work, good photography. Wouldn't it just be easier for Two River Arms become a sponsor? Looks just like an advertisement to me

They're not paying me to advertise. I'm paying them for the work. I don't know them from Adam, but after seeing the butcher-jobs of others trying to convert their PAP rifle, I wanted a better way, which led me to Two Rivers Arms. Forgive my plugging a company, but I was just so pleased with their work and have seen nothing anywhere on the internet that even approaches the work they did on my Yugo, I wanted to present it for show and tell.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I get some more money, I want to return the rifle to Two Rivers Arms to see if they would be interested in performing phase II. In de-miling the PAP, Zastava hacked off the rear of the trunnion and receiver, to allow attachment of only the Zastava Monte Carlo thumb hole poly stock. I would like to see if they could replace the rear trunnion and form a new Two Rivers Arms receiver, with some 'improved' markings, which would allow the installation of any old Yugo M-70 butt stock and pistol grip. Here's hopin'.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's just a chunk-o-sheet metal. Bend, weld, grind, paint. You can just use the receiver you have. I have a receiver flat laying around here somewhere.

How 'bout a pic of the setup now? Is it still the MC stock?

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going back together with the goofy polymer Monte Carlo stock for now. In the future, I want to add the M70 rear trunnion and the side-mount scope bracket. I haven't decided whether to have Two Rivers Arms repair, or replace the receiver. They can weld on some tabs to improve the appearance of the original receiver, or they can form and shoot-in a new flat. I wanted to include the most US-made parts on the "blue part" to give me the flexibility to install standard M70 furniture, without concern over whether they are US-made, or evil imported parts. Yugo's don't have the luxury of a wide range of US-made furnishings.

It's just a chunk-o-sheet metal. Bend, weld, grind, paint. You can just use the receiver you have. I have a receiver flat laying around here somewhere.

How 'bout a pic of the setup now? Is it still the MC stock?

Latest posts

Top Bottom