would a Ka-Bar TDI make a Good skinning knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The finest knife for skinning and processing a deer is a McCroskey custom knife from Dave McCroskey in Stillwater. My elk hunter knife has processed 8 deer, yes you read it right 8 deer, before I buffed the bevel and straightened it. The blade was still sharp after 8 but it would not shave. I took 3 minutes to buff it and the edge was back. The knives run approx $150.00 but one or two of his knives will be all you will ever need. All of the deer hunters and elk hunters that I know have 2 - 3 knives from Dave.

If you are a knife collector do not bother calling Dave because he does not sell to collectors. These are working knives not ones to collect dust. We own 6. A buck knife is not even in the game against a McCroskey. They are that good.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a very very sharp, very small and pointy folder... I think the thing cost me about 1.99 while getting a coffee on the way to my hunting area when I had forgotten the $50 "skinnin" knife. Strangely, its been my knife of choice on at least 10 deer since.

You're also talking to a guy who doesnt wear camo. I just spray on some scent lok, and go (this includes bow season). And I always fill mah tags.

Reaction score

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The knife to start with, if you are a deer/elk hunter, is the elk hunter. The second would be the boner and finish with "Butch" the butcher knife. We take all of the previous mentioned knives when we elk hunt. If you just hunt deer then all you need is the elk hunter. This blade will last thru 7 to 8 deer if you take care of it BEFORE you need to resharpen. Dave resharpens for free.
These knives are the finest you will find. Dave can be contacted in Stillwater at 624-9900.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
McCroskey, you say?

http://www.mccroskeyknives.com/

Looks/sounds good.... gotta love owning a knife called the "Boner".

The knife to start with, if you are a deer/elk hunter, is the elk hunter. The second would be the boner and finish with "Butch" the butcher knife. We take all of the previous mentioned knives when we elk hunt. If you just hunt deer then all you need is the elk hunter. This blade will last thru 7 to 8 deer if you take care of it BEFORE you need to resharpen. Dave resharpens for free.
These knives are the finest you will find. Dave can be contacted in Stillwater at 624-9900.

I have had the Elk for 2 years now. I really think I would like the pro skinner a lot better. I absolutely love how sharp the Elk is. But the knife I used previous to the Elk has the same profile as the pro skinner and I like the blade profile a lot better. I would definitely recommend a McCroskey knife.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had the Elk for 2 years now. I really think I would like the pro skinner a lot better. I absolutely love how sharp the Elk is. But the knife I used previous to the Elk has the same profile as the pro skinner and I like the blade profile a lot better. I would definitely recommend a McCroskey knife.

I agree with you guys. I found these knives on a forum somewhere when I was looking for a good knife for an elk hunt. I had drawn out for the Wichita mtns. I called Dave up and went to his house in Stillwater. He was a super nice guy. I went through a bunch of different blanks until I found the ones that fit my hand the best. It was short notice before my hunt. But Dave said he would try his hardest to get my knives done. He said if he didn't get them done in time, he would send his personal knives with me for my trip. How many people would do that for a total stranger? But he got mine done just in time. I have the Elk and the boner. I would highly recommend these knives to anyone looking for a great knife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom