Would this shotgun work for deer and hog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
osa is okshooters..lol.

lots of good deer rifle options out there, single, pumps, shotguns...eventually this thread will get the guy who used a rimfire..doesn't mean all is good advice. Some states require you to use a shotgun, so it can't be all bad. Handi-rifles can be had in many good deer calibers..IE: the mentioned 45-70, .308, .30-06, .243, etc. .45-70 is cool, but wouldn't be my first choice for all around gun, deer rifle. It will do it, but at what cost per round.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this shotgun will work with limitations but:

- with a smooth barrel shotgun shooting a slug you are probably limited to around 100 yards --- that is not good.
- a slug truely kicks like a mule
- you do not have open rifle sights or a scope on this gun. you need those for deer.

I would hate to spend the money and time to get into good deer woods and see a great deer over 125 yards and know your chances are real low at hitting it. BUT with a rifle that distance would not be a problem.

Your distance is handicapped with a shotgun.

I would take the $180 and buy a rifle with a scope. Then you have just doubled your distance over a shotgun if not more.

- I think guns are cheaper now in the off season than during hunting season.
Except for sales and then it might not be the gun you want. Go to www.gunbroker.com and get a good rifle for around $300. Then you are set up with no handicaps.

-

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OSA is the forum you are viewing this on. We have a classified section where folks can buy and sell.
For your original question, the shotgun you showed will work just fine out to 100yds. Its devastating with the right slug at those ranges with a smooth bore barrel that come with it. Getting the correct ammunition for it should be brought up in another thread if you decide to go this way.
As has been stated, the same shotgun can be used for birds, deer, hogs, home defense, clay bird shooting or whatever.
I know some are on a budget, and the 12 ga that you pictured will do fine until you can find a good center fire.
I would recommend you stay with the 30-06 if possible. The 30-30 will work fine at closer ranges, but if your in an area where longer shots are possible, the 30-06 is much better.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pretty much going to just stick to hogs and deer. I might do some turkey hunting, but haven't decided on that yet. I am pretty much just interested in meat opportunities that I can have fun out in the woods while trying to see something. Not interested in squirrel or smaller animals really.

Latest posts

Top Bottom