Xd / Xdm Grip Saftey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both a XD SubCompact and a Glock 19. I carry the XD appendix carry, the Glock about 4:00, both IWB. The XD is easier to reholster since I can keep pressure off of the grip safety by gripping the pistol with my fingers under the trigger guard and thumb on the back of the slide.

Reholstering the Glock is a very slow process for me since I'm paranoid about shooting myself in the stern. I have to verify the location of everything (fingers, shirt, holster parts, etc) before pushing down on the gun.

Love shooting both, but I'm much more conscious of the possibility of accident with the Glock. Both pistols are less comfortable for me than my "safety lever" pistols. I can never envision using either as a "pillow gun", something I've done with various other safety equipped autos for many years.

My xd45 sleeps between my matress and box spring and when I put it up at night, I use a similar method. Just grip it a little funny and slide it in. As far as reholstering, I've never worried. Situational awareness is key. I'm actually more paranoid when I mess with my M&P9c with safety, because it's easy to knock off, and I would rather know it isn't there that wonder if it's on or not. The M&P wont have a safety much longer. Millions of glocks ride in LEO holsters everyday and they seem to do fine.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, what was the catalyst? The side ears maybe. Let me know.

It's only particular to the Glock...the placement of the button is such that the trigger finger is either really close to or on the trigger after the draw stroke, and if you continue to try to push the button as you draw, boom.

My 1911 Serpa doesn't do this...the finger ends up riding along the slide.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's only particular to the Glock...the placement of the button is such that the trigger finger is either really close to or on the trigger after the draw stroke, and if you continue to try to push the button as you draw, boom.

My 1911 Serpa doesn't do this...the finger ends up riding along the slide.

I seem to recall a few instances where they also got stuck in the holster due to a malfunction with the button.

MickeyMouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both a XD SubCompact and a Glock 19. I carry the XD appendix carry, the Glock about 4:00, both IWB. The XD is easier to reholster since I can keep pressure off of the grip safety by gripping the pistol with my fingers under the trigger guard and thumb on the back of the slide.

Reholstering the Glock is a very slow process for me since I'm paranoid about shooting myself in the stern. I have to verify the location of everything (fingers, shirt, holster parts, etc) before pushing down on the gun.

Love shooting both, but I'm much more conscious of the possibility of accident with the Glock. Both pistols are less comfortable for me than my "safety lever" pistols. I can never envision using either as a "pillow gun", something I've done with various other safety equipped autos for many years.

Ditto on the XD. With my Cross Breed holster, I can't get my thumb between the holster and the gun, so I have to place the thumb on the top of the slide to holster the gun. Thus the grip safety is not engaged.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to recall a few instances where they also got stuck in the holster due to a malfunction with the button.

Yes...there's that too...small rocks can jam the mechanism, and if the holster gets wet while it's cold outside, your pistol can be frozen to the inside of the holster, or the button can be frozen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom