Youth season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is 8 and we are going to hunt the youth season this weekend. I bought him a resident youth gun tag for 10.00. It say antlered in parenthesis. Can he shoot a doe with that tag or is there a separate tag for does? Thanks for your help in advance.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is 8 and we are going to hunt the youth season this weekend. I bought him a resident youth gun tag for 10.00. It say antlered in parenthesis. Can he shoot a doe with that tag or is there a separate tag for does? Thanks for your help in advance.

Aviator is right, if you want to kill a doe, you have to buy a doe tag. Here are the ODWC categories for the Youth Season

2014 Res. Youth Deer Gun (Antlered) 10/14/2014 to 12/31/2014 Required for residents age 17 or under who hunt during youth deer gun season or deer gun season, unless exempt. Valid for one antlered deer. Hunting license also required if age 16 or older, unless exempt. $10.00
2014 Res. Youth Deer Gun (Antlerless) 10/14/2014 to 12/31/2014 Required for residents age 17 or under who hunt during youth deer gun season or deer gun season, unless exempt. Valid for one antlerless deer. Hunting license also required if age 16 or older, unless exempt. $10.00

The good news is that you can use any unfilled youth deer gun tag during the regular deer gun season. I wish they would use tag rather than license because it gets confusing

From the ODWC " Youth hunters may harvest two deer during youth deer gun season, and one of those may be antlered. A deer license is required for each deer hunted, which means youth hunters wanting to harvest two deer can buy three deer licenses (one antlered and two antlerless) to maximize their opportunity. Additionally, resident youth hunters who do not harvest a deer during the youth deer gun season may use their unfilled youth deer gun license during the regular deer gun season. Hunters who do harvest a deer during the youth deer gun season may buy another youth deer gun license and harvest a deer during the regular gun season."

Good luck! Go get that boy on a deer.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok Thanks for the answer. I don't see anywhere to buy tags online so I may go to town and get him one if he still wants to go tomorrow.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You are correct. Youth tags can't be bought online as the youth has to be able to present the retailer with a certificate from the hunter safety course (or otherwise qualify) before they're allowed to purchase the tag, I believe. I'm not 100% sure on that particular part. You might call ahead and make sure you have their paperwork in order, if needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom