Youth Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_rae

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for turkey season and am excited to take my boy out! Any suggestions on a youth shotgun? I've been looking at a Mossberg Youth 500 20ga. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the choke, and pattern have more to do with a shotgun for turkey vs any manufacturer.

make sure it shoots to aim and there is at least a full choke. As long as it goes bang on the first shot, any are good.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Started my daughter on the mini youth mossberg when she was 7. Ported choke tube and standard #6 loads and the recoil was very minimal. Cheap red dot and she was two for two on birds before she out grew it. Didn't take her long to grow out of it though.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Started my daughter on the mini youth mossberg when she was 7. Ported choke tube and standard #6 loads and the recoil was very minimal. Cheap red dot and she was two for two on birds before she out grew it. Didn't take her long to grow out of it though.

What choke tube did you put in? Looked at a Mossberg 510 but nothing ported.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The more I think about it the best thing that I can do is find the shortest length of pull 20g semi-auto that is out there. Recoil on any pump gun would be too much for my youngins' for several years (unless it was just shot at a strutting turkey).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The more I think about it the best thing that I can do is find the shortest length of pull 20g semi-auto that is out there. Recoil on any pump gun would be too much for my youngins' for several years (unless it was just shot at a strutting turkey).

In your case I agree. Your girls won't break the 75lb mark till they're in high school.

Latest posts

Top Bottom