You've Got To Be Freaking Kidding Me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would all of you fault rock music entirely as an art form because 311 alludes to drug use, or because Slayer refers to murderous scenarios? I doubt it.

311 sucks, but...

ajohngushue.typepad.com_photos_uncategorized_2008_07_13_god_listens_to_slayer.jpg

What about all the christian rappers out there? Are they causing our daughters to all be indoctrinated into gangs?

No, but they might be influencing kids to listen to crappy music.
Hank Hill said it best when it comes to Christian music:

"When I was young, you went to rock and roll concerts on Saturday night and asked for forgiveness on Sunday."

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, my oldest went to Bell for a year, and I couldn't agree more. I really encourage you to read at least the first two chapters of that John Taylor Gatto book, I think you would appreciate it.

But what I have yet to see is one objectionable piece of material associated with this program.

Would all of you fault rock music entirely as an art form because 311 alludes to drug use, or because Slayer refers to murderous scenarios? I doubt it.

What about all the christian rappers out there? Are they causing our daughters to all be indoctrinated into gangs?

From the website:

ORIGINAL SHAKESPEARE…RAPPED: The CD includes original Shakespearian lyrics rapped, as well as lively modern interpretations and classically performed monologues.

TEACHER RESOURCE BOOK: The Teacher Resource Book includes everything a teacher needs to use Shakespeare is Hip-Hop in the classroom: annotated lyrics, synopses, character descriptions and exercises, all in reproducible form. It also features additional support with lesson plans, writing activities and background information.

HIGH-FREQUENCY WORDS: 500 challenging SAT* words were chosen based on a study of the vocabulary that appeared on the SAT most frequently over the course of 5 years. Each song on the CD contains 40-50 words used and defined in the lyrics themselves.

MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE REVIEW: The student textbook and CD form a comprehensive review of middle school science topics, perfect for test preparation or as a classroom supplement to more traditional methods. The book and CD cover the science that is tested in 8th grade in most states, including earth science, life science, basic chemistry, physics and astronomy.

Google "flocabulary" and listen to the tracks that come up. Anything objectionable there? These are not the most dangerous influences in our children's lives. Not even close.

Don't put words in my mouth ... I have freely admitted I happen to like hip hop and rap, not to mention country, hard rock, goth, alternative new wave ****, etc.

No, I don't fault the musicians or whatever genre of music they produce, I fault the administrators and teachers who think that the less they have to do in a day the better and that our kids are nothing more than a giant science experiment. Never mind the parents who think the school should raise their kids for them ... :explode:

Now, with that said, the hubby and I had a great time at H&H tonight -- and whichever one of you goobers was there with your girlfriend complaining that 30 yards was too far out to put a rifle target ... get some lessons!! :shocked:

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, when SHTF, the big cities go :explode::explode::explode:, and there aren't any radios to listen to, I guess we won't have to argue about how rap sucks. Heck, there won't be battery powered turntables when everyone's eating each other in the big cities to survive! :pms2:

I guess I'll just be out at my cabin up in MO, listening to the peace and quiet of God's real music and getting ready for the next day's work, same as my great-great-great grandpa did 140 years ago.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth ... I have freely admitted I happen to like hip hop and rap, not to mention country, hard rock, goth, alternative new wave ****, etc.

No, I don't fault the musicians or whatever genre of music they produce, I fault the administrators and teachers who think that the less they have to do in a day the better and that our kids are nothing more than a giant science experiment. Never mind the parents who think the school should raise their kids for them ... :explode:

Now, with that said, the hubby and I had a great time at H&H tonight -- and whichever one of you goobers was there with your girlfriend complaining that 30 yards was too far out to put a rifle target ... get some lessons!! :shocked:

+1. The majority of teachers today are lazy as hell.....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1. The majority of teachers today are lazy as hell.....

You know it's really kinda sad. I have friends who are teachers who literally give up any semblance of a personal life for the kids they teach every school year.

But then they have to deal with adminstrators and other teachers who just don't give a damn. I swear I don't know how the good ones do it -- well, I do -- it's because they love the kids so much. But I would go postal if I had to put up with the crap they (and the kids) have to deal with every school year. :pissed:

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know it's really kinda sad. I have friends who are teachers who literally give up any semblance of a personal life for the kids they teach every school year.

But then they have to deal with adminstrators and other teachers who just don't give a damn. I swear I don't know how the good ones do it -- well, I do -- it's because they love the kids so much. But I would go postal if I had to put up with the crap they (and the kids) have to deal with every school year. :pissed:

I agree. It's too bad it's not a merit based profession.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The ones that put up with the most crap such as the remedial education teachers or the ones that teach the LD or EMH students work a little harder than the ones that teach in a general classroom. The ones that drive buses and perform other tasks like coaching sacrifice more of their time than the others. This does make it a little more merit based. Compared to the ones that run immediately to their cars when the bell rings

It translates like this: Regular classroom teachers make a handful of chicken scratch. The teachers that give up more of their lives and sanity make a handful scratch and a sprinkle more.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ones that put up with the most crap such as the remedial education teachers or the ones that teach the LD or EMH students work a little harder than the ones that teach in a general classroom. The ones that drive buses and perform other tasks like coaching sacrifice more of their time than the others. This does make it a little more merit based. Compared to the ones that run immediately to their cars when the bell rings

It translates like this: Regular classroom teachers make a handful of chicken scratch. The teachers that give up more of their lives and sanity make a handful scratch and a sprinkle more.

I see what you mean but totally disagree. Just because they spend more time at school or school functions doesn't automatically translate to merit in my eyes. Also, not all special ed/needs teachers are handling a workload like normal teachers. Some have exceedingly small classrooms depending on the school and/or district they are in. My aunt taught blind and deaf children at Taft for over thirty years so I can see your point in some cases but certainly not all. I've known plenty of crappy bus drivers and coaches in my life. I don't care if they run for the car after the bell rings if they've done their best during regular hours trying to do their job and equaled or exceeded expectations....

Teachers aren't the exception when it comes to government jobs. Pretty much all of them are based solely on experience and education level with little regard for merit/performance concerning pay grade.

http://sde.state.ok.us/Teacher/Salary/default.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom