Zone 1 Waterfowl Opens Saturday.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone going? Yet again, Zone 1 opens with hot temps.........duck numbers just now picking up in the Dakotas........and my frustration continues yet another year that the first 2-3 weeks of season will be wasted. Come on ODWC, loose the split and just give us the 80 days prior to February 1st!!!!!!! Give us three more weeks to hunt when the birds are here. Start it on November 18th and run it straight through.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be in the deer stand, but I see what your saying. It ain't right.

Going to suck with the warm temps this weekend for whatever. Nothing but dinks and does on my trail cams.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as the license sales are there, ODWC has no desire / need to change from the 'traditional' seasons.
Dove IS sept 1, doesn't matter that we always get a front the first part of the month and the hunting sux thereafter. Season is 60 days and that should make you happy.
Same for waterfowl and deer.
Open dove Aug 15. Waterfowl Nov 18, no split season created to confuse and add to the coffers through fines.
Deer rifle 9 days ???????? Come on, at least Nov 15 - Jan 1. Some of us work nontraditional schedules and it falls where I have had 1 day off.
Yes, some will cry bow season is so long. I cannot pull a bow due to a surgery but not qualified for exemption, until crossbows were allowed legal.
Same with muzzleloader, season short, set up to sell tags.

Granted, we are not overpopulated with deer like Texas is. Their overpopulation is because of antiquated laws limiting the taking of does to the point of causing major problems.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Deer rifle 9 days ???????? Come on, at least Nov 15 - Jan 1. Some of us work nontraditional schedules and it falls where I have had 1 day off."

Deer rifle season is 16 days long, Nov 22 - Dec 7, ML is 9 days long..........both are plenty long enough in my opinion. Personally I really like the long bow season. I don't like the way the duck seasons are set up either, too confusing.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer rifle season is 16 days long, Nov 22 - Dec 7, ML is 9 days long..........both are plenty long enough in my opinion. Personally I really like the long bow season. I don't like the way the duck seasons are set up either, too confusing.

I agree. Most deer are killed during the gun and muzzle-loader seasons. We are pretty blessed with the length of bow season, although I wish it started a bit earlier to give us a real chance at velvet bucks. The waterfowl split is a joke and should be removed. Start the season later and do away with it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would propose bow open Oct 1 or the first sat.
Muzzleloader opens Nov 1 or the first sat.
Rifle opens Dec 1 or the first sat.
Deer season closes the Saturday after Jan 1.
License has deer tags on it. Stamps for bow, mz, and rifle.

Waterfowl is Nov 15 or the following Saturday to Feb 15 or the following Saturday

Dove opens the first sat in August.

K. I. S. S.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would propose bow open Oct 1 or the first sat.
Muzzleloader opens Nov 1 or the first sat.
Rifle opens Dec 1 or the first sat.
Deer season closes the Saturday after Jan 1.
License has deer tags on it. Stamps for bow, mz, and rifle.

Waterfowl is Nov 15 or the following Saturday to Feb 15 or the following Saturday

Dove opens the first sat in August.

K. I. S. S.

Federal regs prevent waterfowl hunting past January 31st, and dove and cranes can't be hunted before Sept IIRC due to Federal regs...........everything else you listed could be doable, and is up to the ODWC commissioners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom