Zone 1 Waterfowl Opens Saturday.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As long as the license sales are there, ODWC has no desire / need to change from the 'traditional' seasons.
Dove IS sept 1, doesn't matter that we always get a front the first part of the month and the hunting sux thereafter. Season is 60 days and that should make you happy.
Same for waterfowl and deer.
Open dove Aug 15. Waterfowl Nov 18, no split season created to confuse and add to the coffers through fines.
Deer rifle 9 days ???????? Come on, at least Nov 15 - Jan 1. Some of us work nontraditional schedules and it falls where I have had 1 day off.
Yes, some will cry bow season is so long. I cannot pull a bow due to a surgery but not qualified for exemption, until crossbows were allowed legal.
Same with muzzleloader, season short, set up to sell tags.

Granted, we are not overpopulated with deer like Texas is. Their overpopulation is because of antiquated laws limiting the taking of does to the point of causing major problems.

I don't know how license sales have anything to do with deciding on "the split" for waterfowl? For most of us we only buy a fed duck stamp ( and usually buy it early) and a HIP permit prior to dove season. Other than the stupid questionnaire that they hound you with, I don't know how the ODW has any clue how few ducks are shot during the early season or how many hunters even go out.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fed regs can be changed also.
Early ducks = few. Takes cold fronts to move them in.
Point is, season and regs are 'what they have always been'. Nothing to do with management.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how license sales have anything to do with deciding on "the split" for waterfowl? For most of us we only buy a fed duck stamp ( and usually buy it early) and a HIP permit prior to dove season. Other than the stupid questionnaire that they hound you with, I don't know how the ODW has any clue how few ducks are shot during the early season or how many hunters even go out.

I get one of these every year, so as long as the Feds share info with the ODWC, they should know what the early season is like.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141022_205044_zpssofcrsae.jpg

Fed regs can be changed also.
Early ducks = few. Takes cold fronts to move them in.
Point is, season and regs are 'what they have always been'. Nothing to do with management.

Yes Fed regs can change as well, but in this case, ODWC can change the dates on their own. I am thankful we're not using the point system still.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of dates, the biggest factor for this duck season will be the lack of water in our state....especially west of I35.

I agree about dates though. If the ODWC is set on keeping a split, do away with zone 1 and 2. Start everything on the zone 2 dates.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is fishing weather, I will probably go fishing. I can't complain that much about season dates. ODWC isn't the weather maker. This October is unseasonably warmer than normal. However, I do have sympathy for those quakes who hunt waterfowl before the freezing temps.
:-)

Last edited:

Blanchard_Mike

New to the site!
Reaction score
A no split season would be great ! Most seasons I can grind on teal and gaddies for a few weeks until a good push of green comes, but this October has been brutal. I'm not very optimistic for the opening weekend this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom