ZTR vs. Lawn Tractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't cut quite as well? I've never heard that. That being said, my dad's new Snapper commercial with a angled front on the fabricated deck does cut better than any deck I've tried on any mower. I think the angled aspect let's the grass stand back up before it gets to the first pass of the blade.

They were referring to nice clean even cutting and efficient mulching. You can do more in the design of a stamped deck as far as airflow and such. At least from a manufacturing cost standpoint, nobody would want to pay for a fabbed deck welded from 100 pieces. It sounds like they are gaining ground tho.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had mine about that same amount of time before it died. When they die its sudden and terminal - I believe the harmonic balancer comes off and of course that is deadly. I was looking at Craftsman Pro series with my Dad a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that all the Kohlers are 7000 series now made in Michigan. The Courage was an attempt to manufacture in China and it didn't work well for the company. Kohler supplied a new engine at no cost except for shipping and I'm still running a Courage. They work great until they blow up and a whole lot of them eventually do regardless of how well you maintain them. My Hustler mows great but damn I wish I had spent the extra bucks for a Honda engine. Fingers crossed on my replacement Courage. BTW Dennis Kohler supplied a engine after it was out of warranty so I did appreciate that.
Very cool that they honored that out of date warranty. Briggs has an engine that is also put on the BAD BOY's. Supposed to be one of their premium engines. I haven't heard any reports about longevity from that engine.
I'll have to see if I can find where my Courage was manufactured.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to live on 5 acres, my parents had 10, and I mowed both places (partial on both properties) plus a couple other yards for people.

Lawn "tractors" suck balls. Real tractors are at least more useful, but a 48" ZTR will mow circles (literally) around a tractor sporting a deck a foot or more wider. I know. I've had 2 tractors with belly mowers.

I bought and thoroughly trashed a $3600 Cub Cadet ZTR. Stamped deck literally came apart within 2 years. Literal crap. Worst purchase of my life. I will never purchase cheap equipment again. Always overkill. Buy used good stuff over new cheap stuff if you can't scrape the cash together.

Me and dad split the cost of this dude in 2010. (we lived 4 miles apart so no big logistical issue). He got to keep it when I moved to town 2 years later, so he got the good end of that deal! Still going strong. Probably last for the rest of both our lives.

009.JPG

That said, I have a postage stamp yard I mow with a Honda self-propelled now. And this is the first year I only have my own lawn to mow. Enjoying it.

There is no comparison. 2.5 acres isn't much, tho. If it's relatively open, traditional mower will do fine. Lots of obstacles? Spend the $$$ on a ZTR.

I have no problem operating a ZTR on slopes. I'm a "push it to the limit" guy when it comes to machinery, tho. It took my dad a couple years to get used to cutting his slopes and he still goes at it weirdly. The first year he was too scared of a rollover to even mow a couple parts of his place. I can always "feel" balance and traction. One of my few life skills. If there were mowing competitions I'd be a contender.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom