# 11 caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry Lurker, I've never had a 40 cal charcoal burner...Lord knows I've had about every other caliber imaginable.

If your wanting a "bag" type mold, I would highly recommend Larry Calahan up in Missouri. His reputation is impeccable and I have one of his molds in .530. Not a tool mark in the cavity and it has an excellent spru cutter. He will call you after you order and talk to you personally to make sure he makes what you want. Your .390 and .395 are listed as standard, so they will be cheaper, he can go either way by the thousandth of inch, but will cost a little more. His prices are quite in line also. They are every bit as good as the old Rapine bag molds IMHO. Ed Rapine is in his late 80's and decided to give it up a couple years ago. His molds are around on the used marked, but they bring a premium price and go very quickly.

www.bagmolds.com

I have a Greg Christian Tennessee rock lock with a 42" Green Mountain barrell that mikes .533 between the lands...very tight...It is slow twisted for round ball. I can shoot a .530 ball with a .10 patch, but you get your exercise ramming it home and you sure can't let the bore get very dirty. 520 shoots well with a .15 patch. I usually keep it down to 70 grains or so.

Save the 100 grain loads for the 54 cal Lyman and the heavy conicals :)

Lee makes a 6 cavity .520 mold that works very well for this rifle. You can get into production very fast with 6 cavities.

I need to have Larry make me a bag mold for it.

Dixie also list a scissor type mold that seems to get good reviews. Will make it any size you want, but no spru cutter.

Ok, Ive rambeled enough, besides, you probably knew most if not all of this...good shootin!

This is good info. I've got several Lee molds for .54, .50, .45, .44. I would like to find a .32 maxi ball for my Crockett and if course one for my .40.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom